had a run in with another shooter tonight

Scots_stalker

just in after flying my bird , i could hear gun shots getting steadly closer until a guy wearning a tracksuit and a shotgun belt appeared with another guy with an air rifle,

i put the bird away , turned and said hi , can i see your permission ? , i dont have it with me he replied ,( i am the only named shooter on the ground )
ok i said , you shouldnt be here without it

**** off ,i dont need to answer to you he replied

again i said , who gave you permission and give me your name

get to **** he replied , i dont answer to no **** , , i picked up the phone to call the land owner

and with that he stormed off ,

all this time his side by side was closed

did i handle it correctly ?

If you had time to make a check with the landowner I might have called the police and then kept them talking! Easy to plan these things in hindsight though.

Aye. i would. The words tracksuit and shotgun would have the fuzz down there in no time.

Personally I'd report it first to the landowner, and then the police.
If it happens again straight on to the police before he even gets close enough to speak.

Neil. :)

Brian,

All an Anti has to do is call the Police and say they have been threatened by "a man with a gun".

Feel free to do the same when Deja Vu strikes again ;)

Stan

Might just be worth informing the landowner, at the same time checking that it wasnt in fact his nephew or similar, stranger things have happened.
I got belted across the face with a shotgun muzzle by a "poacher", when the police interviewed the landowner the assailant turned out to be a business associate that had been given permission 10 years before to shoot rabbits, they never saw him on the land and it had never been withdrawn so he walked free on the armed trespass but was convicted of assault with a weapon, 12 months suspended.

I wouldn't really want anyone to get into trouble. But at the same time I don't like the idea of someone taking potshots when I am out and about either

I wouldn't really want anyone to get into trouble. But at the same time I don't like the idea of someone taking potshots when I am out and about either

This is the point you could have been quietly stalking and he could have been taking pot shots in your direction check with land owner and if he has not got permission call the police next time.....

god knows! maybe he thought you don't need permission to shoot on various land in the UK, a bit like the US where a lot of land is nationalised...then again, given the attire you describe, sounds more like a couple of dealers with some gear they got in exchange for XYZ.. thing with those @rseholes is that they have to sense of rationality or morality, so yes, step carefully, just not worth getting beaten up or worse over them stepping on your toes (land-wise)..

what would I have done.. first, tell them that there's regulation about where you can shoot, and you're unless they're willing to have a man to man conversation you're going to call the land owner to check, then I'd probably check with the landlord to say, do you know these people on your land (description).."yep, it's my son and his friend".. in that case oops, LOL! if "No, I've no clue", then if they're still there explain the issue and if they play ball, fine. if they don't just walk away but call the police after you're out of their sight.

I had the same issue on a farm I used to live on, where people would come to fish in the river, it would p1ss me off royally, but every time I confronted them I did it nicely and tbh none of them had a clue it was private, they were just there to catch a trout or two. I most of the time pointed them in the direction of a good corner of the river to catch one, hoping to inspire them to become fishermen for life. whilst it's nice to 'have your own', we shouldn't always keep all the goodies to ourselves...or should we! oh dillema! LOL.

just in after flying my bird , i could hear gun shots getting steadly closer until a guy wearning a tracksuit and a shotgun belt appeared with another guy with an air rifle,

i put the bird away , turned and said hi , can i see your permission ? , i dont have it with me he replied ,( i am the only named shooter on the ground )
ok i said , you shouldnt be here without it

**** off ,i dont need to answer to you he replied

again i said , who gave you permission and give me your name

get to **** he replied , i dont answer to no **** , , i picked up the phone to call the land owner

and with that he stormed off ,

all this time his side by side was closed

did i handle it correctly ?

Reading this alarm bells ring in my head. This individual has sworn at you and stated he answers to "no one". 999 every time and keep line open so they can hear conversation. He could have been like that piece of $##* that killed them coppers in Manchester. As for not wanting to get anyone in trouble if they are doing wrong on your permission who's going to get the blame. Also as they were in Jeremy kyle type clothing your lucky they didn't shoot your bird as IMO folk like that shoot anything no matter what it is. I might have be wrong but gut tells me not. If it turned out legit police n landowner would think nothing less of you for bringing a potential bad situation up. Just my opinion.

Tricky situation which could have ended up with you getting a sore face or worse. Unless you are in a situation/position where you can take the official approach and win, you loose. You ended up with this guy giving you a load of abuse and you havn't a clue who he is. Now had you pretended you were just like him, poaching with your bird, got him and his mate talking about whether they had shot anything etc I have no doubt you could have ended up with at least a name. Now you have somebody to report and for the Police to check into.

good call that.
Tricky situation which could have ended up with you getting a sore face or worse. Unless you are in a situation/position where you can take the official approach and win, you loose. You ended up with this guy giving you a load of abuse and you havn't a clue who he is. Now had you pretended you were just like him, poaching with your bird, got him and his mate talking about whether they had shot anything etc I have no doubt you could have ended up with at least a name. Now you have somebody to report and for the Police to check into.

+1 - had you been out with a firearm rather than your bird it may have had a different outcome. As you knew you had permission to be where you were and had enough suspicion that the others shouldn't have been there, probably best way to approach a similar situation as Gazza says is to engage with the third party to establish rapport to find out as much as you can.

All the more reason to ring the police.......no one will get in trouble if they are totally legitimate!!!........

Back