Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt removal problem

Bolt removal problem

Hi all
    I've just come to put my rifle away and found I can't remove the bolt
    It is a sako 75 stainless .270
    Bolt release presses in , but the bolt only slides back only to the point of the catch and stops
    It is as if the release mech is not working
    Any ideas on a solution/fix or is it a trip to the gunsmith
    Any help appreciated
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Hi all
    I've just come to put my rifle away and found I can't remove the bolt
    It is a sako 75 stainless .270
    Bolt release presses in , but the bolt only slides back only to the point of the catch and stops
    It is as if the release mech is not working
    Any ideas on a solution/fix or is it a trip to the gunsmith
    Any help appreciated
    Cheers
    Pull the barreled receiver from the stock and see if you can source the problem from the underside. IT's the first thing the gunsmith would do.~Muir

the 75 bolt release is like the mausers, on the LHS of the rear receiver wall, no access from underneath as it sits under the rear bridge. however, there's nothing technical about it, you press in one end and it lifts out a 'stop' from the other side of the lugs, allowing the lugs to pass through like a sluice sort of thing.

just been through the user manual for the 75 and no 'trouble shooting' section there (no pun intended)! LOL

try a few drops of good gun oil in the release catch and on the bolt sleeve from outside, operate the bolt a few times to let any crud or pine needles out of the way, then try again, perhaps pressing a bit harder this time.

if just not going, yep, probably have to have a smith look at it - if so, pick a decent one!

Stone,

Try removing the catch from the receiver and cleaning it all out. This is easily done by taking the action from the stock and removing the bolt release catch fixing pin from the underside of the receiver with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Take care not to loose the release catch spring.

Good luck,

Tim

Safety on?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Safety on?
    There are two methods to remove the bolt on my Sako 75 Varminter.

With the safety catch ON press the small release catch between the safety catch and the bolt handle and lift the bolt head and pull it back. Then press the bolt release catch on the OPPOSITE side of the rifle to remove the bolt.
    Or, release the safety catch, pull back the bolt and with that bolt release catch depressed remove the bolt.

HWH.

SD Regular
    Stone - assuming you've covered all the obvious above as an experienced shooter who knows his rifle....(!).....two further possibilities:

(1) The wall of the internal box mag has shifted slightly and is catching - undo the screws for the trigger guard and you should be able to move it back out of the way and re-tighten.
    (2) Bent extractor claw catching?

HTH

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I would have a look at the ejector finger in the underside of the action and see that it is passing freely through the groove in the bolt head.

Ian.

Deformed ejector finger?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Guys
    thanks for all the advice , but it seems I hav one further problem
    i can't remove it from the stock either
    it is a rifle I hav not long purchased so still getting used to it as I hav never had a sako before
    this is the first time I hav attempted to take it apart
    both screws in the bottom plate are out and plate removed and that is as far as I can get
    Action slightly rocks but there looks to be another internal star headed stud which is quite worn
    it is to do with the mag release catch which i think is preventing the stock coming away and I don't hav the right tools to deal with this
    looks like it could be a trip to a smith anyway....