Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what can he do?

what can he do?

a friend of mine has a dilemma.
    his father used to have a shotgun licence years ago but has expired also years ago!
    the trouble is the shotgun is still in his cabinet.
    his mother and father had a divorce because he had an affair.
    she wont let him anywhere near the house because of this.
    the key to the cabinet got lost somwhere and has recently been found.
    when his fathers licence was about to expire he notified the firearms department and nothing ever came of it.
    he then took it to his local gunshop to try and sell it to them but they told him they couldnt touch it because it wasnt licenced.

what can he do?
    does he take it to his local police station?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Q1. Do you have a license?
    Q2. Have you spoken to local FEO and explained situation
    Q3. Is the father still alive
    Truth is local Firearms dept would prefer these unlicensed guns at least on a ticket so as they know where they are. If you have a ticket then tell the police you can get a firearms dealer around to put it on your ticket or get a firearms dealer to come and take it then retrieve it off of them ( for a fee ). Don't forget they have to deal with deceased estates all the time. Don't let the police have it or you'll probably never see it again and it'll be sold with the funds going to the police benevolent fund. Any guns that are worth something are usually sold on that way.

Going on the basis that your mates Dad was the SGC holder and would/should have had sole access to the cabinet his mother would have no specific knowledge of what the cabinet contained. She/your mate has obvioulsy recently found a key to the cabinet and to facilitate it's removal or whatever have opened it and found a shotgun. I would think an immediate call to the local station asking them to attend and uplift this item would be appropriate and I would doubt would cause any problems for your mate or his mother in that they were acting in good faith. I think it will be important that neither your mate or his mother knew that the shotgun was within the cabinet. The longer your mate or his mother delay going to the Police would increase the chances of one or both being considered as possessing a shotgun illegally.

yes i have a licence.
    not spoken to my feo.
    the father is still alive.

what i'll do then is phone my local firearms dept and explain the situation to them.
    then take the gun to my local rfd and ask to put it on my licence for a fee.
    at least the gun is in the 'system'.
    my friends father will still own it but it will be on my licence.

is this the right thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewilliams View Post
    when his fathers licence was about to expire he notified the firearms department and nothing ever came of it.
    he then took it to his local gunshop to try and sell it to them but they told him they couldnt touch it because it wasnt licenced.

what can he do?
    1. the Police SHOULD have had a more positive input than ignoring the situation
    2. ANY RFD CAN take in unlicensed guns - whether for storage, destruction, deactivation or re-sale - it IS part of the Firearms Act, as a way to get such things back on the books & off the streets where they may fall into the wrong hands. All the RFD logs it in the book is as "surrendered from Mr. ABC - found in locked cabinet" or some such...

I'd try option #2 again, but either at another RFD or take a copy of the relevant act in with him

I am a RFD in County Durham
    I have taken in surrendered firearms and shotguns in the past and notified the Police HQ of the fact stating that they were either deceased persons effects or surrendered anonimously. They said to hold on to them for a couple of weeks whilst they checked them out and then allowed me to dispose of them.
    Hope this helps.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    There you go.
    1. Get RFD to come round and uplift gun.
    2. He will take it in a log it with Firearms Dept.
    3. When Firearms have completed their enquiries, pay the RFD and get it put on your license.

I would think once the police know about it you can kiss goodbye to it plus somebody may face charges !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I would think once the police know about it you can kiss goodbye to it plus somebody may face charges !
    Thats what I would have thought ,I can't believe that the police would knowingly leave a firearm in a house with unlisensed individuals wether in a cabinet or not something does not seem right I could be far wide of the mark, especially after very recent tragic events I would have thought they would be round there sharp ish......

not sure exactly how long it's been in the cabinet.

think i'll give him the firearms dept phone number and leave it at that.