Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working out thread dimensions

working out thread dimensions

I have lost the thread protector off my T3 varmint and I dont know what thread size it is. The T8 I have has 5/8F stamped on it so is this 5/8 24? as I need to order a replacement or a muzzle break or something to just cover the threads when im out and i dont want the mod on.

any help greatly appreciated,

Charlie

Is it a heavy barrel or standard? T3 will almost certainly be metric if its a factory thread, probably M14x1... if it has been threaded by a gunsmith it could be anything!

This document would suggest it's M18X1

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

sorry its a varmint and its not a factory thread as the barrel was shortened and re-crowned, i assumed the 5/8F stamped on the base of the T8 was thread then it says 30 which i assume relates to caliber of the mod

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    This document would suggest it's M18X1

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Varmint.pdf
    Agreed, but then it occurred to me that he never said whether it was factory threaded or not, so likely is as per the stamp on the mod if not factory!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
    sorry its a varmint and its not a factory thread as the barrel was shortened and re-crowned, i assumed the 5/8F stamped on the base of the T8 was thread then it says 30 which i assume relates to caliber of the mod
    Yeah, probably 5/8 UNF then I guess...

I think i will have to ring jackson rifles and ask to confirm if its 5/8 unf or 5/8 -24 (fine thread) either that or take it into a local gunsmiths and get them to confirm it for me. Could do with just finding a decent local gunsmith who i can trust to sort stuff like this out

Yeah, good call - get it checked... last thing you want is a shiny new muzzle brake in the wrong thread!

A good engineering shop should also be able to check it for you with a thread gauge....

You should be able to get A 5/8 unf thread nut at a garage to try or borrow a thread gauge and lay it on to se if it meshes.

If you have a decent set of callipers you can work it out too, i.e. effectively measure outer diameter and count the threads per inch... although having a masterclass in threads from Simon Lawrence earlier this year it seems that not all threads are equal, even when supposedly to spec!