300WM for UK SIKA ?

Something the same but different.
I have a Blaser .300 Win Mag that I use in Africa with great success.
When I got my Sika ground I used my .300 before getting a .308.
IMO nothing wrong with using .300 on Sika.

Regards

Davie
I have been offered a great deal on a 300WM barrel, for my M03. Question - useful addition? - buy or avoid?

it will kill them, but so will a 243...

point I am makings that as a suitable calibre for Sika, I would say it is but have never used one. however, given the same bullets are available for it as I use in my 308, then it would be a good choice. especially if some of the distances are long for the shots and you want to use something like a 180grn.

if someone turned up to shoot rutting Sika stags with me and said they had 2 rifles to pick from, a 243 and a 300Win Mag, I would always suggest they brought the win mag...

Dont know if that helps one bit... :lol:

Last edited:
Totally agree as far as getting out to a distance.
I hunt in the North Karoo which it totally flat and an average shot is in excess of 250+yards.
I think .300 WM it is a great calibre.

Regards

DavieH

point I am makings that as a suitable calibre for Sika, I would say it is but have never used one. however, given the same bullets are available for it as I use in my 308, then it would be a good choice. especially if some of the distances are long for the shots and you want to use something like a 180grn.

if someone turned up to shoot rutting Sika stags with me and said they had 2 rifles to pick from, a 243 and a 300Win Mag, I would always suggest they brought the win mag...

I saw a few boar shot with 300win mags a couple of years ago, and a few shot with 30/06's. The Win mag seemed to put them down quicker than the 30/06 as far as I could see.

Ref the Sika, the 300 will get it done for sure. If you think it is a bit much, you can always down load a little to match 30/06 numbers.

Aha! 300 WM is a great all around calibre for the UK if you can ue reloaded ammunition OR get Remington or similar "Managed Recoil" ammunition if you don' reload. As it comes in the factory full power offering it is over powerful.

Now, whilst you can't kill any deader than dead, so in that sense it does its job you can get raised eyebrows AND legitimate concerns about damaged meat. But yes with 180 grain bullet it will be far better than any and all 308 Winchester rifles.

In real terms though won't offer much, with correct bullet in that 175 or 180 grain range, over a 30-06 or, say, 7mm Remington Magnum. Use on wild boar or elk etc possibly excepted.

Me? How much is the barrel? If at "fire sale" price then yes, it is a good idea, if it doesn't already effectively duplicate a calibre barrel you already posses. Beacuse, of course, inevitably you'll be needing another 'scope and if you reload dies, cases, etc., etc. What seems like a "good deal" might have an add on cost!

Out of interest and to help you what calibre barrels do you currently have on your rifle?

Just returned from Africa where I used my .300WM loaded with 165g Nosler Accubonds to take Blesbok, Impala, Warthog, Kudu, Springbok, Mountain Reedbuck and Bushbuck out to 300 yards. All one shot kills and all fell close to where they stood. Also taken Red and Fallow in UK using 165g Sierra Gamekings.

Very accurate calibre and most seem to shoot several bullet/powder combinations well.

In my opinion .300WM is a fantastic calibre.

I have shot 12 rutting Sika stags with a .243 and been on my hands and knees looking for about 9 of them and sometimes needed a dogs assistance also. I recommend shooting them high shoulder with .243. I have just ordered a 7mm08 because I think the .243 is a bit under gunned for Sika stags.

I have shot 12 rutting Sika stags with a .243 and been on my hands and knees looking for about 9 of them and sometimes needed a dogs assistance also. I recommend shooting them high shoulder with .243. I have just ordered a 7mm08 because I think the .243 is a bit under gunned for Sika stags.

I was on my hands and knees yesterday under sitka spruce with the dog, looking for a Sika stag shot through the heart with a guests 30-06 and 175grn bullets.

It really doesn't matter with Sika, they run. Unless shot in the neck or head of course...

I have no experience at all on Sika.
I owned a 300 WM for years, sold it ans still regret it. It was very heavy ( 4,5 kg scope included) and I don't like heavy rifles and guns. I shot a good few times a 7 mm RM from a friend. Both are just better killers than any 270 or 280 I ever seen in use. The 300 has , IMO, slightly more recoil, but I would not hesitate to get that 300.
On boar in very bad light it's just better than a lighter cartridge.
On the other hand after seing Franz Aelbrecht in action with his 270 on driven boar, all I said before means nothing. Using 130 grain H-mantle ammo by RWS he nails driven boar on the spot. Looking the slow motion images we see that his bullets all hit high on the shoulder. Mostly in the upper third of the body. Breaking shoulder(s) is important for any animal. Put a good, strong bullet through one or two shoulderblades of a deer and down it goes. You not only break a major element in his movement, but it also absorbs and distributes alot of energy in the body.
Brian, who has alot of experience on Sika, might be able to say if Sika with a good hit on the heavy bones of the shoulder ( and a heavy bullet) go down quicker than others.

I don't have a huge amount of experience on any deer, don't shoot much more than a dozen a year, I do get to see a fair few others shot though.

My impression is that Sika are more impressed by velocity than bullet weight.

I shot a dozen or so with a mild 140gr load in the 270 and had a bunch of runners, my friend had the same with 100gr BTSP from the 243.

I went to 130gr BT's in the 270, and then 120gr BT's in the 260. Runners are much less frequent, though they do happen still.

My friend not shoots 87gr SST's from the 243, runners have stopped there too. However, the meat damage is really bad, the 260 is not much better.

I would generally try and take a shoulder out if going for a chest shot. You have to be prepared to right off a front quarter if you don't neck shoot...

Back