Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Head shot at 160 yds.

Head shot at 160 yds.

Has anyone else read this??

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/foru...6&#entry743946

No - it isn't me. I just came across it.

well that stalker has alot to learn !!!!!

fair enough if the animal was wounded , but laying there in a bush really you cant call that sporting can you ???

regds
    lee

Unreal, but a VERY typical pigeonwatch post I'm afraid.

Disapointing replies to a ridiculous post on the pigeon watch forum also.
    What else was behind the bush. Was the bush the backstop.To many ethical and safety points.

Obviously no respect for Deer

Stalking at its ugliest

Hear , hear .
    `It was getting dark ` said he !
    The very time NOT to take a dodgy shot .

HWH.

I haven't read the post and have no intentions too!
    But can we clarify what is not acceptable, the shot,the safety aspect of it,Head shooting,Distance,edge of darkness etc...

regards
    griff

Griff don't read it,

It appears that the boy took his first Roebuck, 160 yard side head shot, the beast was lying in a bramble bush chewing the cud, and darkness was approaching. He was also supremely confident because he had put four shots in a an inch circle a few hours beforehand. That's it in a nut shell.

There are a few members off here who are pointing out where he went wrong but with little effect. Jingzy pointed out to him that an inch at 100 yards was 2 inches at 200 yards, plus a little bit of adrenalin would help to expand the size of his grouping and therefore increase the difficulty of his shot. He was however able to report that he had zero adrenalin and had an experienced chap with him!

Basically it would appear, leaving aside whether the head shot was correct or not, that the person was inexperienced in shooting beyond 100 yards, there was no mention of the safety aspect it looks as if the bramble bush was his backstop. He "had" to take the shot as it was getting dark. He appeared to have little or no appreciation of the anatomy of a deer, and worse of all he seems incapable of taking advice from those that know.

I'm sorry I read it now

John

Whatever your opinion is whats done is done. The fact that he posted it is as bad. The fact that he posted a more experienced gun was with him and didn't stop the shot is a worry. For the many obvious reasons that have been mentioned and also for the simple reason of the anti's and their ilk who monitor all these sites and,... yes they do.
    Any aspect of the shot that shows a risk quite simply means that the shot must not be taken. When this is put on a site as it was it throws the whole sport and the issuing of FAC's into question. Never mind the support he is given by others obviously taking or willing to take the same sort off "shot".
    I wasn't there and so like others I can only opinion on whats been posted. I think its poor and another nail in the lid so too speak.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB
    an inch at 100 yards was 2 inches at 200 yards, plus a little bit of adrenalin would help to expand the size of his grouping and therefore increase the difficulty of his shot.
    Might be worth pointing out that, the more you increase the range, the more variables can creep in to multiply the expected group size even further. I wonder how many stalkers have gone back to 200m to see how well they perform even under ideal range conditions? If you haven't, try it. Preferably with a bit of light wind to contend with. It can be a real education.

the anti's and their ilk who monitor all these sites and,... yes they do.
    A very good point[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB
    an inch at 100 yards was 2 inches at 200 yards, plus a little bit of adrenalin would help to expand the size of his grouping and therefore increase the difficulty of his shot.
    Might be worth pointing out that, the more you increase the range, the more variables can creep in to multiply the expected group size even further. I wonder how many stalkers have gone back to 200m to see how well they perform even under ideal range conditions? If you haven't, try it. Preferably with a bit of light wind to contend with. It can be a real education.

the anti's and their ilk who monitor all these sites and,... yes they do.
    A very good point[/quote]