Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi-custom or factory rifle ?

semi-custom or factory rifle ?

I am in the market for a lightweight stalking rifle. Max 3kg , probably 308. A gunshop has some brand new Tikka's M65 in 7x64 available ( approx 500) . If I would want to spent the money of a Sauer 202 outback, I would buy one. At least when you ever have to sell it, you sell a Sauer 202.
    Is it possible to built a semi custom (max 3 kg) rifle for about the price of a new Tikka T3 lite? By semi custom I mean putting a good barreled action in a light stock and have it properly bedded. Would it be intresting to use the M65 action, get a barrel and light stock and have a rifle made up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I am in the market for a lightweight stalking rifle. Max 3kg , probably 308. A gunshop has some brand new Tikka's M65 in 7x64 available ( approx 500) . If I would want to spent the money of a Sauer 202 outback, I would buy one. At least when you ever have to sell it, you sell a Sauer 202.
    Is it possible to built a semi custom (max 3 kg) rifle for about the price of a new Tikka T3 lite? By semi custom I mean putting a good barreled action in a light stock and have it properly bedded. Would it be intresting to use the M65 action, get a barrel and light stock and have a rifle made up?
    how much is a T3 nowerdays

900 to 1000 depending blued or stainless.

in that case the answer is NO you wont get a properly built semi custum rifle for that figure

I know people who have paid much more than that and not got a properly built one!!!!!!

I am not discussing 100 or 200 more, but the moment you pay as much as a new Sauer 202 outback or a R93 Prof, you can as well buy one of these. You can testfire it and if it suits you, you pay. Ordering a semi custom is sometimes a surprise at the end, good or bad. A Sauer or Blaser will ( at least I think ) keep a much better aftersales value.

You can get a new lite model for 695 in .308 and I don't think that can be beaten for a factory rifle IMO

You're looking at about 2k minimum if you want a new custom built rifle with a decent spec.

A second hand custom rifle is usually 1300 minimum.

You can get a good brand new tikka for around 700.

As long as there are no defects and you buy a decent make (I.e. Tikka) then it will shoot better than you can

Avoid xbolts - ***** IMHO

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Why not roll your own

Stainless barrel
    B+C stock
    PH action
    timney trigger or other
    A few gunsmith tweaks
    The recipe makes for a top end result
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

The M55 or M65 Tikka is a fine rifle - better than the T3 IMHO (no plastic anywhere) & better finished too. For 500 I don't think you'd get a better new rifle. The 7x64 is a fine round so there are not many downsides. They handle well, cycle smoothly & shoot very straight.
    Selling on you'd loose much less money on the Tikka than on a Sauer plus there is not as much cash tied up in the meantime.
    If you want to make a custom job later the M65 is a very good action & is much sought after doner. - But before that you have the lifetime of a new rifle to think about it.

Ian