Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Parks Sporting or not?

Deer Parks Sporting or not?

Is it sporting to stalk deer in a deer park? I fully appreciate that these animals are there to be culled appropriately. But is there really much if any real satisfaction in stalking and shooting a trophy deer that is in effect, fenced in?

Which would give you the most satisfaction, a highland stag? Or an animal on a large deer park?

Regards
    MJ

Kent
    it's up to you to deside that yourself. Personally i have shot deer that were fenced in inside forestry were effectively they had no escape, this doesn't mean they were easy.

The rule of fair chase hunting prohibits shooting fenced nullifying the trophy- however if someone dumped a big stag on the hill after rearing it in a park, would you be any the wiser?

You must make this call yourself personally speaking it's not for me if you mean "sport"

I have no problem with anyone shooting deer inside the wire of a park or estate, the deer need to be culled and it really doesn't matter who pulls the trigger.

What I object to is over large trophies from parks being touted as representative of "wild" trophies and this includes big stags being let out on the hill to be shot by some gullible punter. To be clear if someone wants to pay the money to shoot the stag it's up to them, it's the misrepresentation of the trophy that bugs me.

Paul, The same has happened with the put and take trout fisheries around the country. They stocked huge fish that were grown in warm water and made a mockery of the British Records for Trout. I think there are seperate records for wild and reared now but it did make a mess of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy L
    Paul, The same has happened with the put and take trout fisheries around the country. They stocked huge fish that were grown in warm water and made a mockery of the British Records for Trout. I think there are seperate records for wild and reared now but it did make a mess of it all.
    This is very true. However a farmed rainbow that manages to survive it's first winter and grows on, learns to feed naturally and becomes to a large extent "naturalised" is a worthy oponent for a fly angler. Does the same happen with farmed deer after release? Do they become more wild? Are farmed deer less afraid of people? Are newly released farmed deer easier to stalk? Can a direct comparison be made to the "stockie" rainbow trout?

MJ

Emm. Interesting!
    The only thing that I can say about large farmed trout is that they begin losing weight and condition as soon as they are stocked. They cannot hold the body weight that has been artificially produced with the addition of heat and protein. An over wintered large farmed rainbow trout looks like a racing snake (very thin)!

Kent
    actually a good comparisom, Rainbows are easy when 1st stocked after a while they get far more canny - however they behave very differentlt to wild trout. Wild trout take things they think are natural food when feeding rainbows mouth anything new in there environment to see if it might be food. This is because they got fed nothing but pellets for there formative time. This does not mean either wild or naturalised stocked are easier just different.
    Park deer are somewhat similar, they soon learn that most people and cars are safe- however they know all about the guy in the black pickup who wears the green coat. Different learning experiances just like the trout!