.22LR Bolt Action or Semi-Auto?

Moonraker68

I'm thinking about getting a .22 for rabbit shooting. I had an old BRNO which was a good tool, but stupidly sold it a few years ago. I'd ideally like to get a s/h Anschutz or Weihrauch, but have seen a few Anschutz semi-auto's for sale at a lot less than their bolt actions; how do they compare in accuracy, reliability etc? Then again, I could just stick with what I know and get another BRNO/CZ.

I used to have a Remington 597 s/a .22, when I had got past the thrill of firing off a lot of quick shots and decided that accuracy and reliability was more important I traded it in for a cz 452 , IMO a far more useful gun. atb Tim

Bolt action every time - more accurate, you'll be less likely to fire off loads of rounds, easier to clean, less likely to jam, and quieter.

Ian

I had a rimfire magic .22 semi auto that was as accurate as my Cz bolt action - it did jam sometimes with subsonics though.

Semi auto's are fun, and better than bolt actions if u have hundreds of bunnys that will sit at 40 yds or less. If however you want a long range accurate reliable rifle then a Cz 452 or 455 (bolt action) would be my choice.

i had a cz very accurate, now have a ruger 10/22 with volquartson trigger and volquartson carbon barrel, had its just as accurate as cz,

As I understand it (correct me otherwise) but the anschutz semi is not made by anschutz and is just badged up? - friend had one that fell into in 2 pieces one day whilst shooting, stock in one hand and rest in the other....?!. Have a browning buckmark semi auto, extremely short, extremely light and puts eley subsonics through the same hole time after time. Needs keeping clean as does any semi auto, but a superb rabbitting tool (and its fun) .

i had a cz very accurate, now have a ruger 10/22 with volquartson trigger and volquartson carbon barrel, had its just as accurate as cz,

No. You have a Ruger receiver fitted with after market, superior, components! Not a dig! I own a similar rig and it is a tack-driver, but it isn't exactly a WalMart item. I have a Brno 511 that is an exceptionally accurate rifle, too, right from the box.

Still. For trouble free, reliable accuracy, I go with the bolt. CZ: Good value, exceptional accuracy. I have a slew of them.~Muir

+1 on the 452. All my rimfire rifles prior to now having Sako have been CZ

People say it's a entry level rifle, but they shoot exceedingly well, you could knock a fence post in with it and it would still work and shoot perfectly after. 100% Decent bit of kit at a sensible price

Only one thing I have, is a varmint barrel

Phil

Get a Brno Mod 5.
Just to be cooler than the rest of the world that dont own one.
Accurate, reliable and nice to look at.
I know a fella who does a sweet trigger job on them too.

No. You have a Ruger receiver fitted with after market, superior, components! Not a dig! I own a similar rig and it is a tack-driver, but it isn't exactly a WalMart item. I have a Brno 511 that is an exceptionally accurate rifle, too, right from the box.

Still. For trouble free, reliable accuracy, I go with the bolt. CZ: Good value, exceptional accuracy. I have a slew of them.~Muir
Same thing lol, my rugers great fun and very very accurate, cz was a lot less faff though, ruger needs cleaning a lot more.

Same thing lol, my rugers great fun and very very accurate, cz was a lot less faff though, ruger needs cleaning a lot more.

I think I put this up before. This is my "test mule" for .22 ammo. Green Mountain 1-18" twist barrel and other goodies. Super accurate.~Muir
SquirrinatorRES.jpg

I was just thinking how good that stand would go with a folding seat. Especially if you had a good rifle like a brno to rest on it.

Back