What are your ideas for a custom build?

Wingers243

Have been kicking around ideas for a new rifle and it seems almost impossible to find everything I want in a factory built rifle, perhaps with the exception of the new FN series (thanks for your PM Griff, reply waiting for you).

I have researching various things on having a custom rifle built. While I don't need it for deer, I will looking to produce something with sufficient accuracy to be competitive up to 1000 yards (not world class competitive but at least on a club basis) and as far as I am concerned, a rifle can't be too accurate and there's nothing to build confidence like a zero target with one, not very, raggy little hole in it.

Looking to use what I build for just about everything. Foxing, pest control, stalking and target shooting at anything up to 1000 yards. (not much long range shooting but would quite like to get into it).

It looks to me like the best parts to go for would be:

A Wild Dog tactical stock. Carbon fibre so it should save a lot of weight compared to a fibreglass one that will be important for stalking.

A Shilen Select Match Grade SS barrel about 22 inches finished length (short-ish for target use but more suited to use with a moderator)Quite a heavy profile, maybe 5 or 5 1/2 straight taper, fluted.

A surgeon repeater action with built in picatinny rail. Looks to be a good option out of the box without any further work. Makes sense to me to go with a true custom action built for the purpose rather than working over a factory action. Built on the rem 700 footprint it will fit int almost any stock and will take most of the mag system / triggers etc.

Any thoughts frm those of you who are into these things?

Last one.........just for fun name the best calibre for my new rifle........

I'm currently contemplating something similar (subject to selling a rifle to finance it)

Wild dog stocks: contact Roger @ SYSS who imports them http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/ - I emailed him about one and he said he'd more or less given up with them because he's got a order going back sometime last year that still hasn't appeared. So, regardless of how good they are, you may not be able to get hold of one.

Other alternatives: McMillan, imported by Jackson rifles, so you can get one if they have it in stock rather than having to wait, though not cheap.

Also: http://mannersstocks.com/
http://www.robertsoncomposites.com

Surgeon: good choice, also imported by SYSS. Not the cheapest though! The remington 700 type action is more flexible in choice of accesories. There are similar alternatives like the Lawton (imported by SYSS, Roger says they've finally arrived). Also, the Stiller Predator or the Barnard S, that is imported by Fox Firearms. RPA qualite may also be an option, though the recoil lug is further forward.

Barrel: IMHO much of a muchness: the average punter is not going to notice the difference between any of the custom brands and there's plenty of them.

Calibre? I'm not opening that can or worms! Get a barrel vice and action wrench and get as many barrels in different calibres then switch them round for variety :evil:

Not quite what you guys would do, but I can't use my trigger finger due to severed tendons and I have to use my middle finger to pull the trigger. It works ok but I don't feel you get a good grip.
What i would like is a nice thumbhole stock, I have tried one in my local gun room on an air rifle( not quite the same i know ) but it gave a better grip.

Any ideas for a nice thumbhole for a T3 Varmint

Jonathon

Although Mat says they are proving difficult to get hold of, Wild dog do a corker which is what I want.

Manners make thumbhole, not to my mind as pleasing to the eye as the wild dog.

These two will probably have to be especially inletted.

Robertson certainly inlet for the T3 action, but not sure if they have a thumbhole version. Jackson rifles stock them.

Perhaps a McMillan A3 or A5 might do if you haven't tried with a very upright pistol grip would also work as you take the weight on top of your hand rather than holding the weight by gripping.

243varmint said:
Not quite what you guys would do, but I can't use my trigger finger due to severed tendons and I have to use my middle finger to pull the trigger. It works ok but I don't feel you get a good grip.
What i would like is a nice thumbhole stock, I have tried one in my local gun room on an air rifle( not quite the same i know ) but it gave a better grip.

Any ideas for a nice thumbhole for a T3 Varmint

Jonathon

Try these guys SSS

Give Jackson rifles a call and thet will be pleased to give you plenty of advice on 1000m rifles (i seem to remember Peter Jackson was a serious competitor in 1000m stuff)
I suppose it depends on what type of competition you want to do, if you are going to shoot lots of rounds through a Target rifle the 308 is still a great choice, for me i'd be looking what was winning the F class competitions, then i'd ignore that and buy a 6.5x284.
Deffinately Mcmillan stock, The rest comes down to whats available and recomended by the man whos building it.
if you can get hold of a copy try reading 'Varmint hunters odesy' from Sinclair international. it's got lots of tips on building a custom rifle and some of the weirdest calibres imaginable.

Ezzy

Wingers,
weight will be an issue. Too heavy will take the fun out of it.
Roedale built this to show at the IWA.
Lightened Howa action, 5 or 10 shot mag system.
A really fat fluted Lothar Walther Aluminium test barrel in a carbon PSE stock.
Weight.... 2.9kg
Cal? maybe 260 or 7-08
edi
Picture543.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts people, all useful things to work on. I was thinking 6.5-284 as an option but have been looking mainly at .308 until now.

I still maintain that the larger calibres are the way to go and this might have to shoot boar too so 6.5 might not quite be the one. Even more than calibre limitations the idea of a new barrel every 1000 shots if im lucky on something that will be a recreational tool to start with at least is not appealing!

However, it did make me look into the .284win. There are some impressive F class results coming out for it. looking at the bullets available they show the highest BC I can find of any VLD target bullets. In fact a 180 Berger VLD out of a .284 showed 35 inches less wind drift in 10mph sidewind and 100 inches less drop at 1000 yards than a 308 using a 168 grain target bullet. Not quite comparing apples with apples but impressive. No reason I can't load it down for stalking as IMHO and limited experience, extreme velocity reqd for the above target performance is the enemy of the stalker in terms of carcase damage. Plenty of bullet weight left to make up the reqd muzzle energy. Also with 175 gn RN it should comprehensively stop anyhting I'm likely to be able t aford to shoot at!

Has anyone got any practical experience of the .284? suitable twist rates and versatility for target use / stalking and all other purposes. Twist rate for heavy bullets are particularly of interest.

Thanks again. W

ejg said:
Wingers,
weight will be an issue. Too heavy will take the fun out of it.
Roedale built this to show at the IWA.
Lightened Howa action, 5 or 10 shot mag system.
A really fat fluted Lothar Walther Aluminium test barrel in a carbon PSE stock.
Weight.... 2.9kg
Cal? maybe 260 or 7-08
edi

Edi, I'm guessing that it's one of your stocks? :)

Is this you: http://www.gkhaus.de/index.html ???

Thoughts in no particular order:
If you speak to Roger at syss he will tell you the difficulties of getting the wild dog stocks. However I believe that they are bringing in a quantity of manners stock. The mcs t as illustrated on the roedale rifle is a nice compromise between being heavy enough in the forend to take a good sized barrel and manoeverable enough for fast use on boar etc. Added to which they are as tough as monks nuts.
The surgeon is a good action but there are others which would do just as well on a sporting rifle i.e stiller predator (or any other remi clone).
Barrel: nowt wrong with Shilens or any other button rifled barrel. A border archer may well fit the bill and the lead time would be next to nothing compared to an import.
Calibre: 284 would be good, as would 7mm wsm. If you're not fixed on a short action then 7mm rem mag would also do the trick or indeed the european classic 7x64.

Personally I would try not to cover all the bases with just one rifle. If you want a long range/informal target type rifle then build a dedicated one that will have all the performance you want. If you want a boar rifle then pick a factory .300 win etc etc with a good scope for the purpose. Deer stalking? Well the choices are endless but you don't want to be lugging 14lbs plus of rifle around a wood. Unless of course you like to keep fit at the sam time!

Regards

Gareth

zaitsev said:
Thoughts in no particular order:
However I believe that they are bringing in a quantity of manners stock. The mcs t as illustrated on the roedale rifle is a nice compromise between being heavy enough in the forend to take a good sized barrel and manoeverable enough for fast use on boar etc. Added to which they are as tough as monks nuts.

Gareth, in that case Roedale put one of our stocks on to that rifle. Goal was to get under 3kg with a fat barrel. Our stock was about a pound lighter.
For stalking lighter is the way to go, but without compromising accuracy.
A challenge. I'm looking forward to making a very light 243 remmy for our next doe season. Maybe also a new 308. I'll have a close look at the NZ Barnard action which should fit into my new stock.

edi

If thats the case then I mis-identified the stock. My bad.
Was that one of yours then edi? Looks well in any case.

Regards

Gareth

zaitsev said:
If thats the case then I mis-identified the stock. My bad.
Was that one of yours then edi? Looks well in any case.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth, yes one of ours.
Can't blame you they all look just about the same.

One should just really watch out with composites stocks to agree a weight before buying, at least roughly to avoid dissapointment. I've seen some composite stocks that weigh more than twice of what a walnut stock weighs, which is not what one would expect of high tech composites.
A 7 1/2 pound remmy sporter for example could become either a 9 pounder with a heavy composite stock, or with a light composite stock maybe down to just under 7 pounds.

edi

Anybody an idea if the Choate Ultimate Sniper or Ultimate varmint would be useable with a Rem 700 with a normal sporter barrel ?
Is there a similar stock on the market with a slimmer forend ?
The goal : to get a remington 700 sporter at approx 3 kg. ( 6 3/4 pounds)
I like that design of the open/ pistolgrip type of stock but with a sporter type forend .
Edi , do you make synthetic stocks ? website ?
It seems you start with the same idea as I do , that a stalking rifle should be light . For me accuracy should be " practical hunting accuracy " .

Rik.

Rik, PM sent

I just threw my remmy 243 stainless sporter onto the scales a few days ago. I think it was 3045 grams with a 850 gram stock. I've made a stock at 812 grams painted and bedded for a friend a few months ago and one could maybe even make it a bit lighter. 2.8kg could be the limit before one needs to shave off the rifle.
edi

My custom build would have to go along these lines;

Kate Hudsons face, Angelina's lips, hair and big eyes, Charlize Therons Body, with Hally Berrys Jubbly bits. oh and Cheryl Coles Personality (very nice but a bit daft) - And dont worry l have the priorities in order!!

Or...

One of those nice AI things that weigh a bag of sugar and have fluted barrels and double set triggers that actualy work properly! Saw one at CLA custom build AI for £4000 - do well...2 year wait though

Tom

Saw Fox firearms at Bisley today, Brian had a few rifles on display, the ones of interest (to me at least) were the ones based around the Barnard SM action and the Stiller Predator...

This picture, from the right, the one in the foreground is in an AICS stock, the one in the background in a Bell & Carson:
IMG_0340.jpg

Nothing much to say: they're basically Remingtons, except properly made. The bolts are fluted, which seems to make a big difference, the bolts feel quite light.

This picture, from the left, with a Barnard SM in one of their own stocks in the background:
IMG_0342.jpg

Closer on the Barnard:
IMG_0341.jpg

The difference between the Barnard and the Remington is huge: the Barnard has very close fit on the bolt, so it's more like pushing a hydraulic piston than a bolt. There is a feeling of precision that just isn't there to the same extent in the Stiller.

The Barnard is not much of a Remington clone, more 'Remington compatible' - the action is the same diameter and the bedding screws are the same and in the same spacing, but the similarity ends there. AFAIK, the thread for the barrel is longer, so the recoil lug is further forward, so any stock needs to be altered to suit.

One potential problem with the Barnard is that there is no cut out on the right hand side of the action for a safety catch. This means that if you want a trigger with a safety catch, which you'll need for a stalking rifle, then it needs to be a trigger with a safety that drops downwards. As far as I've been able to ascertain, the only trigger available that does this is a Jewell which is available with the standard upward safety catch as well as the downwards one.

The other thing with the Barnard is that most of the literature out (like their website) there suggests that they've made it work with the HS precision mags and their trigger guard. The 07 rifle pictured above certainly uses the HS precision mags. So I was wondering whether the AICS mags and Badger Ordnance trigger guards would work, so I've also been in contact with Robertson Composites: the thinking there is that they deal with Barnard as well as make stocks, so if anyone knows whether this combo would work it would be them. The Reply from Ian Robertson was that yes, it works fine and they can inlet a stock in this configuration, however getting hold of a Badger Ordnance trigger guard is tricky and their supplied bedding pillars are the wrong length (not surprising because the Remington bolts are a good deal thinner than the Barnard).

Anyway, I'll end this rambling post with another picture of Brian Fox's selection:
IMG_0343.jpg

(Behind the Barnard 07 is a FMR Unique I think, then a single shot Barnard in Robertson stock and Keppeler single shot in one of their stocks)

Cheers,
Mat

Back