Gold Muntjac Bucks

Amhuinnsuidhe

What would be the going rate for a stalk taking a gold medal munty? It's just that I've got a bit of ground that seems to have some really nice examples on it and I'm thinking about the possibility of selling some off.

Amhuinnsuidhe

Why sell them ? surely you would like shoot a nice animal yrself or have a friend who might like to take an animal .i know farmings not had a great year but £500 won't restore the balance will it .
norma

what is happening in the stalking scene in the UK at the moment?

It seems like everyone is trying to profit from deer with little consideration other than making money or am I getting the wrong idea of how its all going.

Just what the anti shooting propaganda machine needs to strengthen it cause against stalking after all by putting such price tags on gold-silver-bronze does it not paint a fine picture that everyone is a trophy hunter and trying to profiter from deer in money terms.

Surely we should just be enjoying our choosen pursuit enjoying nature.

I wonder sometimes how many so called medal heads are shot and not declared no photo evidence posted on the web, maybe the stalker enjoyed the moment and those memories will stay with him and close friends I know of a few very good medal heads that will never be shown off.

Just my perspective of things.

PJ.

Last edited:

It seems like everyone is trying to profit from deer with little consideration other than making money or am I getting the wrong idea of how its all going.

Just what the anti shooting propaganda machine needs to strengthen it cause against stalking after all by putting such price tags on gold-silver-bronze does it not paint a fine picture that everyone is a trophy hunter and trying to profiter from deer in money terms.

I wonder sometimes how many so called medal heads are shot and not declared no photo evidence posted on the web, maybe the stalker enjoyed the moment and those memories will stay with him and close friends I know of a few very good medal heads that will never be shown off.

PJ.

I think you have got the wrong idea PJ..

If a fella with some land wants to sell a few of his trophy animals on that are part of his managed cull then whats the problem ?

Whose to say wether or not hes already been generous to numerous friends?

Imo this is in no way derisory to our sport and infact helps people maintain their leases

Are you saying that because somebody posts trophy pictures their enjoyment and memories are any less than somebody who doesnt?

Atb

Terry

Guys,

I think what is important to note here, is that times are hard and deer stalking is proving to be a very welcome income for many farmers, landowners, recreational stalkers whoever is involved with deer management. The key for me is to make sure that the same quality can be harvested year on year, don't get greedy just because you need the money tomorrow. If this is taken into account I don't see how anyone could disagree with someone taking some trophy heads with clients to help put some money in their pocket.

For example on price I pay between £250 - £500 for a gold head. However please note that the guy I pay £500, can guarantee big medal heads on a 2 / 3 day trip. It's not once in a blue moon he shoots a gold head. Same story with the roe bucks, the guys who can produce regular big heads have high prices.

Regards

Alex

PJ.

Sadly in this day and age, everything has a price.
Deer are equally as much of a commodity as a grass,wheat or milk. Like all commodities there are premium ones and budget ones, lets say feed wheat as opposed to finest milling wheat. Should someone decide to sell some of their product then they can and premium products command premium prices. After all a Ferrari is just a car.
About a 1/4 of what I earn a year comes from deer. Am I wrong.
However all living things that have a price then equally demand that it is well looked after. Deer are after all a naturally renewable resource and correctly managed can make an income for many years. Take some for yourself or sell a few, it makes no difference as long as you look after them.
And yes I can honestly say that I remember many stalks as if it were me who shot the animal. There are after all only so many bits of bone you can have.

I can only echo the above posts and moderated my first reply ,money will be the ruin of stalking as it was for falconry .i understand pro's need to make an income but so many are now jumping on the band wagon to fill the insatiable demand for deer stalking ..twenty years ago falconry was becoming ever popular and demand for birds was great a few good breeders carefully sold captive bred birds to guys that had been taught properly and knew how to hunt birds of prey not walk round posingwith one on ones fist ,then every Tom dick and Harry got a breeding pair and the market was flooded .cheap birds were sold to posers and fools with no understanding of how to train and hunt a bird of prey .likewise selling off the trophy animals by wanna be guides who otherwise could not afford the lease will only keep driving up the prices till no body but the continentals can afford to shoot mature beasts
stalking for a living and taking clients out is full of pitfalls ,those that are good are for a reason they cover every eventuality ! This post is not meant to say folks should not want to become a full time guide or even a semi pro but should hopefully make people think twice about making a quick Buck from deer stalking .
just my take on it sorry if it offends anyone .
regards Norma

Last edited:
norma 308 no one should take offence you are stating what has happened in another fieldsport and what is/could be happening in stalking money seems to be involved in such a big way now lets just wait and see what affect is has in the long term.

Thankfully not all farmers/landowners are willing to subscribe to the idea that selling off the shooting rights/lease is a positive thing for the money they get which in the bigger scheme of farm revenues is often very small, they often stick with persons they know and trust and refuse money offers knowing the problems it can bring.

I am sure there are many on here that won't agree with what I will say or my attitude.

I am employed by my boss to generate a revenue from the stalking on the estate. If I sold my Roe Bucks at the average UK price I would have to shoot 2 to 3 times the amount I do now to generate the same income.

So my question is this.

Should I sell my Roe bucks cheaper and have to shoot more to produce the same. Not good for the population.

or

Should I sell to people that are willing to pay a top price for top quality (in this case the continentals) and maintain a good healthy population that produces quality year after year?

Everything should be sustainable and for that to work I have get the maximum financial gain I can, after all if I don't cover my costs and make a profit I don't have a job.

Thank you for the replies gents. Some interesting comments. I have taken your points on board and will consider the options. I have taken a gold off the place already this year and another that is definitely silver and maybe gold but is away at the taxidermists at the minute so will have him measured on his return. I may just go down the good bucks for mates route!

Regards

Amhuinnsuidhe

I am sure there are many on here that won't agree with what I will say or my attitude.

I am employed by my boss to generate a revenue from the stalking on the estate. If I sold my Roe Bucks at the average UK price I would have to shoot 2 to 3 times the amount I do now to generate the same income.

So my question is this.

Should I sell my Roe bucks cheaper and have to shoot more to produce the same. Not good for the population.

or

Should I sell to people that are willing to pay a top price for top quality (in this case the continentals) and maintain a good healthy population that produces quality year after year?

Everything should be sustainable and for that to work I have get the maximum financial gain I can, after all if I don't cover my costs and make a profit I don't have a job.

One of the things that I found difficult to grasp early on in my stalking career was that every cull plan was correct, be it from one stalker to another and on the same piece of ground. We all have our different ideas on how to manage a wild population and we are all correct. What makes us all correct is that we are carrying out the wishes of the landowner. Landowner policies can change sometimes favouring crops to sometimes favouring trees. What you have to remember is a famous quote I read once when an agent told a stalker to get on with his job because it ' isn't your own bloody private zoo'. He clearly thought he wasn't shooting enough!

So eggy s you are exactly correct in what you are doing. If you generate enough revenue for your boss to be happy then no problems.
The only thing I would say is don't let the population get too high or your quality will start to suffer other than that just carry on with what your doing.

Back