Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: badger debate and the northern echo

badger debate and the northern echo

I though journalists were meant to be indifferent but in the local press yesterday there was a full page on the cull debate,fair enough I say but a couple of pages before there's an advert in red calling for people to sign the petition to stop the cull and lists all the usual anti groups involved ,just seems like the general public are tunneled into whatever these want them to believe never mind the facts
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

Only the antis need to protest, those of us who are pro have what we want but dont feel the need to scream and shout about it.
    Maybe the nfu need to start taking out full page ads explaining why the cull is needed from a farmers point of view.

What is the B.A.S.C. Stance on this?............ (for those of us who are in the wilderness!)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Why don't the anti's and Brian May et al get together and fund a vaccination programme - result - no cull, no cost to farmers, no cost to HM Government, no police involvement - everyone happy.
    TonyC

You could eradicate every badger in the country but cows would still get TB so what do you eradicate next !

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Why don't the anti's and Brian May et al get together and fund a vaccination programme - result - no cull, no cost to farmers, no cost to HM Government, no police involvement - everyone happy.
    You forgot to say "and compensate farmers for the loss of their herds" surely this cost ought to be borne by the badger lovers. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    You could eradicate every badger in the country but cows would still get TB so what do you eradicate next !
    The farmers that I speak to don't want to eradicate every badger, just be given the right to control the wildlife on their land that affects their livelihood. A bit similar to having excess deer on their land managed.
    I spoke to a farmer's son this week (a keen shooter) who said they wouldn't touch the badgers on their land as they'd not had TB in their stock for over 5yrs.
    Just my twopennyworth.

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Pointless exercise then really !
    Not at all, my point being that the farmers only want the right to make their own decisions. They should be able to decide whether (like foxes and deer) they want them managed or not.

just to throw a spanner in the works, how many people watching this thread realise that the EU gave Britain what ammounts to an ultimatum last year? SORT OUT THE NATURAL RESERVE OF TB IN BRITAIN OR FACE SANCTIONS.

As most people know, beef exports are worth millions to the UK and if the problem is not sorted, then we could loose the exports. Britain probably has the stricktest TB testing policy in europe. Herds have regular tests, cattle have to be tested before movement off the farm even if they are only being moved a mile away for grazing in the same control area and tested again on return ( this has happened to me) Through regular TB testing infected animals are being removed from herds every day, which is costing the public purse millions.

Now let me give you an example of what happened to me. We had a certified T.B free herd of pedigree cattle, then one night whilst sorting out some foxes with the lamp we came across old Broc nosing around a field.. Now badgers hadn't been resident in the area for about 20 years, we thought little of it, a month later our herd was tested by the ministry and we had two reactors and two inconclusive reactors, so first of all I lost two cows in calf and had to segregate the two IR's, both of which later tested as IR's again and they had to go aswell, so including the unborn calves I lost eight cattle, which we were compensated for, but no where near what I would have got for them normally. We were instantly given a movement ban and put on 6 week testing intervals. So I had a herd of pedigree cattle, which were now more or less worthless yet I still had to spend money on feed and healthcare without any possibility of an income from them.

You make your mind up on this- coincidence?#

Anyway as far as the cull is concerned, yes thousands of badgers will die in the test area's, but if the monitering of the culled areas afterwards proves that broc is not a vector then, those that died will have not done so in vane. If the cull proves Broc as guilty then I can see all badgers in T.B affected zones being culled. As far as vaccination is concerned, the last info I had was that vaccinated badgers can still act as carriers, although they will not themselves develop the disease, plus it is impossible to fully vaccinate all the badgers in an area. Only one has to be missed for the problem to continue .