Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 Ackley Re-barrel

30-06 Ackley Re-barrel

Just got my new 30-06 Ackley back after my T3 6.5 got a new Krieger barrel on it. Shot it yesterday and was 'over the moon'. Minimum recoil, super accurate, my first shot hit an 8 mm bull on the first shot.The gunsmith shot a five bullet group through the same hole at 100 yards! He also shot a crow at 378 yards with it. I wont be able to blame the gun anymore lol!! Oh and the Moderator is a Jet Z , tiny thing but a HUGE reduction in noise
    Last edited by chickenman; 23-09-2012 at 15:01.

Congrats! I have one... a very old one... and it is very accurate.~Muir

Cheers Muir....I have to admit I was stunned at how accurate the rilfe is.

Nice looking job, who did the work? I take it the gunsmith used a different scope with target turrets for the 378 yard crow? if not he got lucky!

Thats a good looking rifle chickenman, your barrel looks pretty heavy, what contour is it mate and also what stock are you using.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    Nice looking job, who did the work? I take it the gunsmith used a different scope with target turrets for the 378 yard crow? if not he got lucky!
    Afraid not , used the set up you see there....a bloody good shot for sure ... it was Patrick Croft , oh and Patrick has a weak right eye, so as far as I know shot it off the wrong shoulder as such.....
    Last edited by chickenman; 23-09-2012 at 15:53.

Looks great
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Thats a good looking rifle chickenman, your barrel looks pretty heavy, what contour is it mate and also what stock are you using.

Ian.
    I am not sure of the profile though I can find out, all i know is it is a Krieger match barrel and has 10 ( I think ) grooves cut into it. It actually isnt that heavy, I always shy away from heavy barrels but I let Patrick decide on what was required and it is spot on , really feels good, very steady on the sticks, soaks up recoil and looks stunning though I think that is down to Patricks work (served his time at Holland and Holland, nuff said) I think that is one of the reasons the rifle is so accurate as the rifle hasnt been blue printed, I asked Patrick if it needed it and he said a Tikka action doesnt require it and he was right for sure! What I am told though from another ex H and H gunsmith is that a smith who has served his time at the likes of H and H , will do such work as standard where as others would charge you and call it blue printing, it is standard practice for a good smith. I was surprised when he told me he had re done the action to be sure there were no scratches on it and then had a box of Lapua brass for me, a number of reloads and a shed load of quick loads worked out for me. The stock is from PSE composites.

Regarding the recoil and flip , which I was worried about....there was nothing to be noticed, my Tikka 6.5 x 55 kicked like hell compared to this rifle and Michelle fired it and reckoned it was the same as her .243, I cant wait to try it out on a Sika.
    Last edited by chickenman; 23-09-2012 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Cheers Muir....I have to admit I was stunned at how accurate the rilfe is.
    It was the build, not the cartridge. Money well spent!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It was the build, not the cartridge. Money well spent!~Muir
    You hit the nail on the head Muir....I was fortunate to find a bloody decent smith who knows his stuff and one thing I respect him for is....the customer isnt always right because your paying, Patrick will tell you to listen to him and trust him.