30-06 Ackley Re-barrel

Due respect? Balls.

You are the one consistently spouting "BO**ocks" in your posts, your 'nick' gives it away.

Luck does not enter in to it if you know how to shoot.
But then maybe you only shoot at paper...

Obviously you are hampered without your 75x zoom tactical black infinitely adjustable make a cup of tea scope, wonder how many deer you do not get a shot at while frikking around with the rangefinder and dialing in on target?
No need of an answer, it was a rhetorical question.

IL for you then!

Haha what a typical answer from someone who cant be proven wrong! For your information i dont only shoot at paper and would probably shoot far more deer than most. I have over the past few years got into the ballistics of rifle shooting and had some very, very accurate rifles (RPA's and custom builds) and pulled off some amazing shots which i will never forget including one witnessed at 810 yards. I now however use a 3-12x50 scope WITHOUT target turrets and a blaser luxus 300 win mag so i know what i am talking about! Any shooter on here that has ever done any long range shooting will tell you what a pathetically, stupid response you came up with. Anyway you go back to your amazing capabilities where you can estimate the exact drop of a bullet which is dropping like a stone and shoot out to long ranges with just your suerior knowledge and GUESSWORK!

Have you ever fired a lee enfiled with opened sights? My grandad did one Tuesday night in woolston. He shot the pilot of the ME 109 straight into his teeth. His Sargent walked the distance with my grandad the next morning from where dad had fired up to the point of impact up the high street. 578yards target moving at about 400 mile per hour coming in to strafe the high street.

For three weeks before that they had been practising hitting bollsa wood balls hit into the air at 100 yards. dad had shot 5 out of 9.

When you practise with what you have then the amount luck you need seems the be much less.

With all due resect thats BO**ocks! You take a rifle zeroed at 100 yards or even 200 especially a little 12 power which that looks like and then see how consistantly you can shoot at 378! Trust me it wont happen, now i am not saying he did'nt shoot the crow, what i am saying is he got lucky as you will miss a damn sight more crows at that range with that approach than someone using a high mag scope with target turrets and i am sorry if you dont like it but thats fact.

The few times I have shot at range with the .270 has been with a 4x32 scope. bulls and VBulls fell all day to all three of us
you dont need nightforce target turret twiddling magic. moving the reticule to the POI is no different than aiming off to move the POI

the -06 has an almost identical trajectory -6 to 7" at 300, -19-20" at 400

given a 6" high target (large crow) and the fact that a 160-175gr bullet clocking 2900 would just have to graze it to destroy it, I dont think it would take Bob Lee Swaggart to pick a hold over/off point to hit a crow at 378, especially as the precise distance assumes range finder use

Have you ever fired a lee enfiled with opened sights? My grandad did one Tuesday night in woolston. He shot the pilot of the ME 109 straight into his teeth. His Sargent walked the distance with my grandad the next morning from where dad had fired up to the point of impact up the high street. 578yards target moving at about 400 mile per hour coming in to strafe the high street.

Fair play to your grandad, i take my hat off to him and i genuinely mean that but are you seriously trying to tell me that that was not a lucky shot? Come on guys!

What size is that barrel?
A composite sandwich design in a stock is just that, hard strong outer shell with a compression strong ultra light inner core. Mill away
the carbon-glass outer shell and one is in the mid section and structure is ruined but can be built up again. That stock could take
a Varmint barrel without any fettling, meaning that must be a very thick barrel contour. One could have made the stock to cater for that
if one knows ahead. Many rifle smiths ask us ahead of how to bed our stocks others just mill away ultra stiff carbon and deep bed
with cheap non structural devcon.
Anyway congrats to the new rifle and get a couple deer with her now....:D

edi

Hi Edi

Thanks for the reply and hope you dont think I was knocking the stock as I am not. I never realised I could get a stock made bespoke , but then again I didnt know I was going to get the work done when I got the stock..But it will be handy for anyone to see this post and if they want to go the route I have they can get a bespoke stock from you. I know it took Patrick longer to do the bedding as he also binned the crappy Tikka lug and bedded another into the stock and strengthened the stock. All I know is at the end of the day it worked and worked well, the stock soaks up the recoil and no flip....which if you recall was my pet hate Edi

ATB
Pete

With all due resect thats BO**ocks! You take a rifle zeroed at 100 yards or even 200 especially a little 12 power which that looks like and then see how consistantly you can shoot at 378! Trust me it wont happen, now i am not saying he did'nt shoot the crow, what i am saying is he got lucky as you will miss a damn sight more crows at that range with that approach than someone using a high mag scope with target turrets and i am sorry if you dont like it but thats fact.

The little scope is an 18 power Swaro. , I said he shot a crow at the distance stated nor did I say he repeted the shot. The shot was indeed lucky, the guy said so himself, even more so as it was with a 175 bullet which was just an odd jobbie from a batch he had loaded of many weights, hence he hadnt even shot that bullet out of the rifle I believe. Regards repeating the shot, thats kind of difficult once said crow was shot. My view would be it was a bloody good shot as the scope was indeed zeroed for 100 yards.

Pete

Apologies for the 'inner voice' coming out!

Nice bang stick there chickenman, I do like the '06, never felt the need for AI but would not turn one down!

Welcome to the 30-06 Ackley. I adore mine. Would be curious as to your loads and performance.
I am running a 175 Berger Hunting at 2975fps using 61 of N160.
Enjoy.:D

Yorkie.

Hi Yorkie

Not sure of the exact speeds but according to quick load they should be around Nos Bt 125 grain -3250 fps , 155 A Max -2925fps and 175 Berger VLD -2761 fps ......thats with a 22 inch barrel. I am well pleased with the results and am informed that I will see the best results with heavier bullets.

I could shoot a 378yd crow from the hip :D

With a 22 lr as well lol ..........on a serious note my 72 year old dad shot the 30-06 AI today,this first time he had ever shot a centre fire, a three shot group at 100 metres.....2 shot in one hole group, other bullet just touching...says alot for the rifle I feel, bearing in mind you would expect him to maybe flinch from recoil. I on the other hand shot a crap group compared to him...ah well lol

This weekend we were again reminded how tame a 308 can get with a semi weight barrel and moderator
vs a 20" 30-30 carbine with open sights no mod. After shooting a stag in the morning with the 308 we met the farmer at the yard and all fired
some shots. The old farmer was convinced that the 30-30 was a proper rifle.
edi

Hi Yorkie

Not sure of the exact speeds but according to quick load they should be around Nos Bt 125 grain -3250 fps , 155 A Max -2925fps and 175 Berger VLD -2761 fps ......thats with a 22 inch barrel. I am well pleased with the results and am informed that I will see the best results with heavier bullets.

Mine has a 26 inch barrel, that will go some way to explaining the exra 200fps approx i am gaining over yours. I have never tried the 125 grain as i always intended to shoot a heavy,high bc bullet.
I am having another 25-06 built and am very tempted by one of Edi's Stocks.
What Dies are you using? I have a 2 Die Redding 30-06AI set but i am having superb results using a Generic 30cal Neck Die from Hornady alongside the Redding Seater.
Should you wish, Lee Collet Dies work with Ackley Cases.

Yorkie.

Mine has a 26 inch barrel, that will go some way to explaining the exra 200fps approx i am gaining over yours. I have never tried the 125 grain as i always intended to shoot a heavy,high bc bullet.
I am having another 25-06 built and am very tempted by one of Edi's Stocks.
What Dies are you using? I have a 2 Die Redding 30-06AI set but i am having superb results using a Generic 30cal Neck Die from Hornady alongside the Redding Seater.
Should you wish, Lee Collet Dies work with Ackley Cases.

Yorkie.

Hi Yorkie

Im still fire forming my brass at the moment so no AI dies, yes one of Eds stock would be nice, make sure it is the bespoke one he said then you wont have to take the material out as such. I also want to try the heavier bullets , can shoot some as they wont fit in my magazine though. The speeds sound righ as I believe 25fps loss per inch on mine would be about right, I didnt want a longer barrel though and am well pleased with the 22 Inch.

Hi Yorkie

Im still fire forming my brass at the moment so no AI dies, yes one of Eds stock would be nice, make sure it is the bespoke one he said then you wont have to take the material out as such. I also want to try the heavier bullets , can shoot some as they wont fit in my magazine though. The speeds sound righ as I believe 25fps loss per inch on mine would be about right, I didnt want a longer barrel though and am well pleased with the 22 Inch.

You may be pleasantly suprised at your velocities once you put it over a Chrony. I did not realise the T3 had a short mag. My HS mag conversion in my Rem is plenty long enough for long Bullets. I intend to give the 210 Grain VLD a try. I went for a 1-10 twist with my Lilja.

Yorkie.

Back