Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer livers

Deer livers

I've not tried them yet,one of my favourite meals is liver bacon and onion,how would you describe the difference in taste between deer liver and pigs livers,regards swarovski

I would tend to say deer liver has a taste of a little more earthyness towarsd it, fresh deer liver from the one you bring home that day, high heat as the liver is still warm watch it rise little butter few mushrooms, nice glass red wine chunk of fresh made bread to mop the juice yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I've not tried them yet,one of my favourite meals is liver bacon and onion,how would you describe the difference in taste between deer liver and pigs livers,regards swarovski
    Closer to lamb I think.. ? I prefer Roe's liver over Reds.

My mrs won't buy lambs liver,she says it to bitter,I don't think she will eat bambi liver

Roe liver very nice, don't attempt to eat the liver from a red stag during the rut, it will put you off for life.
    Wingy

Roe liver is the one , delicious delicate flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Roe liver very nice, don't attempt to eat the liver from a red stag during the rut, it will put you off for life.
    Wingy
    Totally agree, quite a different feel to it also when in the rut more tense to it.

Best liver in deer i find is with in age 1/3 years old.

Just make sure to look for fluke before you throw it in the pan

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Just make sure to look for fluke before you throw it in the pan
    Always do mate was part of my early training.

Muntjac liver is really good(ofally good you might say) as is Roe, Red calf or Fallow fawn a close second. I would be hard pressed to say which is my favourite between the Roe and Muntjac. There is no comparison between them and pig/lamb/calves liver though, venison liver pisses them into a cocked hat. The same goes for hearts and kidneys - staggy and Fallow hearts are good as they have a bit of size to them. Try the brains too, dusted in seasoned flour and fried in butter they are quite nice. I tend to have them if I have sawn a head for trophy prep.