Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox from high seat

Fox from high seat

I was out early after a fallow yesterday. It was a lovely fresh morning and I took my sons young Gwp out with me for company. Nothing was happening on the deer front and I was starting to doze off when a fox appeared about 80m from the seat. It was a welcome break from the boredom.

Great, opportunity well taken!

Well done to you both!

Sitting in a high seat just outside Perth about ten years ago waiting for a Roe buck when a fox appeared from behind a bush about 10yds away so I shot it between the eyes with 180grn out of a 30-06 it just lay there steaming.
    I had been on the hills the previous day shooting stags
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I use several high seats on the estate for foxing in the summer.It gives the advantage of getting a better view over the summer vegetation.
    A friend of mine is a keen sea fisherman and is quite happy to give me bags of fish guts which work a treat. A couple of days baiting a spot usually pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    it just lay there steaming.
    now that is a picture I cant get rid of!

I know a chap who whilst having his lunch after a gralloch spotted a hoodie crow about 150yds away
    130gr .270 left it steaming too!

i only shoot a few deer each season but for some reason i still get a real buzz when i comes to shooting foxes, wither lamping or calling during the day, the heart always races a little when an identification has been made and the shot is on.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    i only shoot a few deer each season but for some reason i still get a real buzz when i comes to shooting foxes, wither lamping or calling during the day, the heart always races a little when an identification has been made and the shot is on.
    I know that feeling too - and, like you, I rarely get it for deer. Don't know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I know that feeling too - and, like you, I rarely get it for deer. Don't know why...
    It's the thought of dragging the deer after the shot

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    It's the thought of dragging the deer after the shot
    Yes, that doesn't help - especially when the ground's too wet to get close with the truck...