Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decocked !

Decocked !

Wonder your views,

As most have more than one LR. & CF. Rifle.

On removing the bolt most are in the cocked position, how many of you decock the bolt !

If one were storing for any period of time etc, would this have any long term effect on the mainspring ?

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Hi Buck,
    i have always stored the bolts uncocked so the firing pin spring was not under tention. I have only had to replace 2 firing pin springs in the last 26 years! Both on BRNO .22 rimfires that had been through the mill clocking up at least 15k rounds each with very little maintainance!
    If you store your bolts seperate from the rifles, then i would de-cock them. Do bear in mind how to re-cock them though, some can be quite difficult.
    Also when removeing the rifle for use, make sure you have the correct bolt for the rifle in use! This has happened to me and shooting friends before and is very embarrasing! Nearly as much as leaving the bolts for the rifles at home.......... at least i save on ammo that day!
    Regards Bruce

I have a BSA Long action Imperial rifle built in 1956 I have owned it for 22 years and in 22 years it has never had its bolt uncocked when in the cabinet as it is stored seperately but it still goes bang
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Have never intentionally decocked a bolt, done it accidentally a few times though, have a rifle thats been in my possession for 28 years its never been uncocked, and have never had a problem with springs.

I store all my guns decocked - snap caps in the shotguns and the rifle bolts decocked. A decompressed spring to my mind will just last longer. With a bolt though, some rifles the decocking / cocking of removed bolt is a pain, and would suggest risk of damage far outweighs the benefits of decocking.

But for me it's just a habit and by Brno and Heym are easy to decock / recock. If you think of the number of guns stored over the years with actions cocked, that still work fine you should be ok storing a gun with cocked springs. More of an issue in long term storrage is grease and oil gumming up and slowing down the strikers.

It would appear decocked or cocked has little long term advantage then, as said some bolt are a pain in the ass to recock while

others are a peice of cake !

Thanks for the reply's, Buck.

or store the bolts in the rifle, fired/decocked. then you don't leave the bolt behind either when you go out...

I am sure i read somewhere that being kept under pressure will not harm a spring

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    or store the bolts in the rifle, fired/decocked. then you don't leave the bolt behind either when you go out...

Would that not be a against the FAC conditions, as (bolts & ammo) are to be stored seperate PKL

could one not find oneself in soapy bubble. !
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 24-09-2012 at 13:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Would that not be a against the FAC conditions, as (bolts & ammo) are to be stored seperate PKL !
    never said you 'should' do it