Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short range zeroing

Short range zeroing

Hi, at my cabin I have set up a 50m rimfire improvised range. This is the max distance that I can shoot and contain the bullets on my land.
    What I am wondering is, is there any point in doing any chronographing and load development for centrefires (17 Rem, 6.5x55 and 308win) at this short of a range? The chrono' ing i can't see being a problem but am I going to be able to deduce anything accuracy wise at this short distance? I can most probably extend the range to a max of 200yds in full winter time (no one around and 1m+ of snow)pending permission from landowner.

i start my zeros at 50m and check at 100m
    its a hell of a lot easier when you have a new scope/load etc.

just did this with the .222 last week.
    3 or 4 shots at 50yds, ending up 1/2" high.
    checked at 100yd and it is bang on 1" above the bull, pretty much as described on most trajectory charts

if you use a ballistic tool like federals or norma's, and see what the rise at 50m should be with your load and calibre given your desired 100m zero - then you can easily do testing/zeroing work at that range. bear in mind of course that if you are getting a 1" group at 50m, that might open up to near 2" at 100m,,and of course, your turret adjustments are likely to be 4 times more than at 100m.

The biggest problem I have when zeroing at 50 yards is parallax error as none of my scopes
    have parallax adjustment, it is a rare day I shoot a smaller group at 50 yards than at a 100 yards.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    The biggest problem I have when zeroing at 50 yards is parallax error as none of my scopes
    have parallax adjustment, it is a rare day I shoot a smaller group at 50 yards than at a 100 yards.

Neil.

I know the problem, how do you tell the difference between one hole at 50 and at 100? argh, dilemma! LOL

most non adjustable Parallax scopes shouldnt have a problem at 50yds?

15 maybe, but not anywhere between 50-100

I have just got rid of 3 seperate P/A scopes as I was sick of having to twiddle stuff instead of point and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    most non adjustable Parallax scopes shouldnt have a problem at 50yds?

15 maybe, but not anywhere between 50-100
    Depends entirely on magnification and objective size.
    My last range trip which was the first time my 6mmPPC had been used was at 50 yards, around 20 people had a shot or 3.
    The smallest group was about 3/4" , the first shots with the same load at 100 yards once home was sub 1/2"
    Now all I do is back the mag off to below 6x at short range.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I know the problem, how do you tell the difference between one hole at 50 and at 100? argh, dilemma! LOL
    Just like you I can shoot one hole groups at both ranges with a single shot

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if you use a ballistic tool like federals or norma's, and see what the rise at 50m should be with your load and calibre given your desired 100m zero - then you can easily do testing/zeroing work at that range. bear in mind of course that if you are getting a 1" group at 50m, that might open up to near 2" at 100m,,and of course, your turret adjustments are likely to be 4 times more than at 100m.

Iphone iPad app called iSnipe will allow you to dial in many standard rounds and give ballistics calculations at any zero distance with accurate drop calculations or drift if necessary.
    Very versatile accurate and easy to use without being dedicated to a single ammo manufacturer.

Not a free app but about a fiver I think.

Regards

Fraser
    damnant quodnon intelligunt

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Depends entirely on magnification and objective size.
    My last range trip which was the first time my 6mmPPC had been used was at 50 yards, around 20 people had a shot or 3.
    The smallest group was about 3/4" , the first shots with the same load at 100 yards once home was sub 1/2"
    Now all I do is back the mag off to below 6x at short range.

Neil.

Ah, good point.
    I meant to say on low mag.