Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to use crimp dies?

Is it necessary to use crimp dies?

I've read through the previous threads on crimping or not, and there appears to be no definitive answer. I appreciate it is another variable in the reloading process and some comments state that with good bullet seating dies and consistent procedures, crimping should not be necessary. I am new to reloading having created some successful target rounds for my .243. I have now run out of expanding ammunition for my .308 so have just bought my .308 dies, including crimp die and plan to reload in some once-fired (in my rifle) Federal brass.

I have had two clear differing opinions from colleagues to this quite specific question, so:
    Specifically for hunting rounds, do I/should I crimp?
    V

as far as I can see there are two reasons to crimp

1) to try and solve a problem
    2) because you get better results by crimping

i have been told by a number of reloaders that crimping gives you more consistant results in grouping due to better neck tension i have not tried this as yet but it is my next step in my reloading and to see for myself, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Crimping works for me on .22 hornet, even ammo worked up with no crimp improved with a crimp.

Neil.

Crimping worked on my reloads at first i was sceptical but i tested 10 rds without a crimp and 10 with a crimp only wish i had kept the targets so i could post the pics.

i have just bought some 'cheap' Hornady .224 52grain BTHP Match bullets for plinking in my .223
    I see that they have a cannelure and i am sure I have read somewhere that cartridges should be crimped if they have one
    Is this correct - it would seem to make sense to me - but bear with me as I have only just fired my first ever batch of homeloaded .223
    Thanks
    Ed

Crimping improved my hornet loads. im just going to try it with 58 v max in the.243 as such a long way to lands with short bullet.
    I don't crimp any of my 30.06 loads as i have good results without

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    i have just bought some 'cheap' Hornady .224 52grain BTHP Match bullets for plinking in my .223
    I see that they have a cannelure and i am sure I have read somewhere that cartridges should be crimped if they have one
    Is this correct - it would seem to make sense to me - but bear with me as I have only just fired my first ever batch of homeloaded .223
    Thanks
    Ed
    You can crimp any bullet it doesn't need a cannelure. Seat the bullet a cal depth. And as long as it fits in your mag crimp it.

The benefits of crimping are. 1. You don't have to be anal about measuring the powder.( who has time for that) so you can use the lee dippers as they are accurate enoght( even for the benchresters). 2. the rounds are more robust.

You only need a light crimp.

So I would try it Ed.

Regards

Simon

When I did my Thesis on ballistics, I worked up transonic loads in 222 cases. With the low charges, the addition of a crimp significantly improved accuracy. I can only put this down to making the pressure spike before release from the cases more consistant.
    I would say any case/powder combo that doesnt maximise bulk density may benefit from crimping, but as anyone that regularly reloads knows, each load combination and rifle is a law unto itself.

if I had anything as advanced as a die and press I would probably give it a go!

I tried the reverse Lee loader crimp but it was tricky to get consistent crimps and I ended up with a couple that were tight to chamber as a result

i use cannulure bullets (most of teh interlocks I use are) but most of mine are seated just long of the cannulure.