Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Eagle with two broken legs

Golden Eagle with two broken legs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-19698139

It appears that to an extent we are still living in the dark age's. From the sounds of it they can pretty much track all the birds movements. Should make the cuprits, if it is indeed the injuries are sustained from illegal trapping, think twice.

Sounds like its was trapped in a very remote location, was removed from the trap, driven at night (as they said eagles tend not to fly at night!) and left next to a layby on a road. Also seems to infer that whoever caught it and removed it to the second location did not actually get around to killing it.

I doubt that we will ever get the full story unless someone is very silly or lucky, depending on which side they are on.

it will do nothing but taint the shooting world as a whole

Very sad to hear, I hope they catch the people who carried out this vile act.

Well if it was GPS tracked there are only 3 large estates in that area, they may not be able to pin down "who" but maybe whose land it was on when it was stationary for a while and then went off on its "night flight" , i hope they catch the person and deal with them with the full process of the law.

According to SGA there are discrepancies in the report. Would the culprit not have the sence to remove the collar? Remember it is only a scenario that fits the facts. It is the scenario that the RSPB likes to promote. They have it to within 20 yards for 15 days and there is no evidence of the exact spot. In a leg trap there would be a bald circle eight feet in diameter. Wait for the SGA report before you condemn. Jim

can i ask why they waited for more than 15 days before going to check it out . it also doesnt sound right to me from the off . i dont know much about eagles or birds of prey but i would think they need to feed or fly on regular intervals and i would also think that something as precious as an eagle would have had people down within a few hours of it not moving,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I often wonder why we keep repeating the propaganda of those who would like to stop us enjoying our sport?

What if the eagle was caught in bad weather and sat tight for 15 hours which is just the first thought that comes to mind as to why it might not have moved, but I'm sure there are hundreds more? The RSPB man says eagles do not "readily fly" at night but what if it was hungry after sitting tight and decided to fly at night and then hit some telegraph wires? There is a difference between not readily flying at night and never flying at night. It is also the case that it appears to have begun its move at 2100 which the RSPB claim is "after nightfall" but I would suggest it would be far from dark at that time. I would venture to suggest that the number of "innocent" explanations for this far outnumber the doom, gloom and "give us your money to save the eagle" explanation we see on the BBC web site.

The fact is that anyone who trapped or otherwise interfered with this eagle would almost certainly have removed the GPS tag, it just doesn't make sense to get up to some illegal activity while knowing that you are being tracked the whole time.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    can i ask why they waited for more than 15 days before going to check it out . it also doesnt sound right to me from the off . i dont know much about eagles or birds of prey but i would think they need to feed or fly on regular intervals and i would also think that something as precious as an eagle would have had people down within a few hours of it not moving,atb wayne
    15days before going to check it, which article did you read? The article states the bird moved on the morning of the 28th, then never moved for 15 hours, and then by 04:00 the next morning made 10 mile to were it was discovered on the 5th of May.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I often wonder why we keep repeating the propaganda of those who would like to stop us enjoying our sport?

What if the eagle was caught in bad weather and sat tight for 15 hours which is just the first thought that comes to mind as to why it might not have moved, but I'm sure there are hundreds more? The RSPB man says eagles do not "readily fly" at night but what if it was hungry after sitting tight and decided to fly at night and then hit some telegraph wires? There is a difference between not readily flying at night and never flying at night. It is also the case that it appears to have begun its move at 2100 which the RSPB claim is "after nightfall" but I would suggest it would be far from dark at that time. I would venture to suggest that the number of "innocent" explanations for this far outnumber the doom, gloom and "give us your money to save the eagle" explanation we see on the BBC web site.

The fact is that anyone who trapped or otherwise interfered with this eagle would almost certainly have removed the GPS tag, it just doesn't make sense to get up to some illegal activity while knowing that you are being tracked the whole time.
    You serious? The closest comment which made reference to 'our sport', is "However, the Scottish Gamekeepers Association said it would be carrying out its own inquiry because it believed there were "irregularities" in the case". It's not a conspiricy theory...

it's probably pretty simple, conduct a search of traps on the estate where it was stationary for 15hrs or of the buildings, and you'll probably find traps, but none with feathers, etc. do dna testing on them and you'll probably get a result.

truth is the gamekeeper probably saw it and almost shat himself, then drove it to another location in the hope it would be found alive and might survive...

person responsible could very well be reading this as we speak...