Thread: Roe Scent Glands

Roe Scent Glands

Chemical communication plays a very important part in Roe Deer life. In bucks in summer ( rut ) the sweat and sebaceous glands swell leading to a thickening of the skin as indicated on the drawing
    Also important are the metatarsals and interdigital. ( in hind legs only ) which in territorial bucks produce, unique to them, more heavily scented secretions ( Ellenberg 1978. Spixiana: Zeitscrift fur Zoologie ) Presumably message to other males to scram females come hither. Front leg lacking gland

Hind leg

Spike showing level on gland

Metatarsal gland

Also of interest. Does after kidding produce more secretions ( unique to them ) from their interdigital glands so kids are able to track their dam when they become followers

Bucks also track does in oestrous by their slots, urine and then keep their heads level with the does rear end during the chase. Bucks don't only use their antlers for marking but also frontal glands on the head and parts of their body marked on drawing with stippling

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Not wanting to sound like a know it all but what about the sub-orbital glands. Less noticeable in roe than in muntjac but hugely important for bucks.

Hi Morena

A very useful thread and the picture make it a lot clearer- thanks for posting this.

In answer to teyhan 1 . Roe deer don't have a suborbital gland. There is a slight depression in the facial bone in that position. Evolutionary biologist believe it could have been secondarily lost or other cervidae developed the gland subsequently ( independent of bovidae from which deer ? had initially evolved ). When bucks are seen rubbing trees between their antlers they are using the frontal glands situated there They also rub with the side of their faces.After marking branches, saplings they scrape with the front legs and then stamp with splayed hooves/claws of the hind legs to expel the maximum amount of secretions in the scrape.Territorial establishment before the rut
    Muntjac suborbital glands have their own musculature which they use to evert these glands to deposit the maximum amount of secretion on trees etc which subsequently saves them needing to check closely invasion of their trails by interlopers.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    In answer to teyhan 1 . Roe deer don't have a suborbital gland.
    My apologies. I had thought the face rubbing was scent depositing. You learn something everyday.
    Thanks

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    Muntjac suborbital glands have their own musculature which they use to evert these glands to deposit the maximum amount of secretion on trees etc which subsequently saves them needing to check closely invasion of their trails by interlopers.
    An example of a muntjac, one of whose suborbital's was enlarged:

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!