Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badger pie, or Dickson-Wright stew?

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar

Badger pie, or Dickson-Wright stew?

Broadcaster and food writer Clarissa Dickson Wright looks set to make fur fly after suggesting that Britons should eat badgers.
    The former star of TV's Two Fat Ladies said she enjoyed eating the creatures - now a protected species - when she was younger, and believes people should consume the bodies of animals which are killed as a result of culling.
    Her comments have drawn condemnation from Queen star and badger campaigner Brian May who dismissed her views.
    Badgers have recently come under scrutiny amid fears they may spread tuberculosis to cattle, which has led to the issue of a cull licence in Gloucestershire.
    Dickson Wright, who has championed country sports, said we should eat the animals.
    "It would solve the problem. There's going to be a cull, so rather than just throw them in the landfill site why not eat them?" she said in an interview with the Press Association.
    She went on: "There are too many badgers. It's very interesting - the reason at certain times of the year you see so many dead badgers on the road is that the badgers throw out their old and ill that aren't going to survive the winter.
    "I would have no objection to eating badgers. I have no objection to eating anything very much, really."
    May, who has spent many months mobilising efforts against the cull, was unimpressed by her "senseless" views.
    He said: "I think we should seriously consider eating senseless people like this Clarissa whoever-she-is. She's obviously outlived her usefulness. I wonder if she would be best boiled or braised."

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    Broadcaster and food writer Clarissa Dickson Wright looks set to make fur fly after suggesting that Britons should eat badgers.
    The former star of TV's Two Fat Ladies said she enjoyed eating the creatures - now a protected species - when she was younger, and believes people should consume the bodies of animals which are killed as a result of culling.
    Her comments have drawn condemnation from Queen star and badger campaigner Brian May who dismissed her views.
    Badgers have recently come under scrutiny amid fears they may spread tuberculosis to cattle, which has led to the issue of a cull licence in Gloucestershire.
    Dickson Wright, who has championed country sports, said we should eat the animals.
    "It would solve the problem. There's going to be a cull, so rather than just throw them in the landfill site why not eat them?" she said in an interview with the Press Association.
    She went on: "There are too many badgers. It's very interesting - the reason at certain times of the year you see so many dead badgers on the road is that the badgers throw out their old and ill that aren't going to survive the winter.
    "I would have no objection to eating badgers. I have no objection to eating anything very much, really."
    May, who has spent many months mobilising efforts against the cull, was unimpressed by her "senseless" views.
    He said: "I think we should seriously consider eating senseless people like this Clarissa whoever-she-is. She's obviously outlived her usefulness. I wonder if she would be best boiled or braised."

I don't think I have ever seen a more sh++tter person than Brian May. When will he cut that ridiculous crap hair?

1995rs

Wonderful - Clarissa gets my vote.
    On a slight tangent, I wonder how many people who champion politically-correct animal welfare issues are quite happy to frequent high-street fast-food outlets, the like of which cannot process the cattle or poultry quick enough that there is actually faeces in the meat?

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    I like the way he now describes himself as an 'musician and astrophysicist'

Clarissa is brill she should get an OBE for her commitment to Country sports and Brian May should not be allowed any further publicity. I watched him on the BBC with the NFU representative and May was pig ignorant, he did not let the NFU lad put his pont of view over as he kept butting in but the NFU lad very diplomatically did not rise to the occasion. I suppose he thought that the cull is going ahead and that May had lost this battle no matter how much money he has spent. I HOPE THAT NONE ON HERE BUY ANYMORE OF HIS RECORDINGS then he may end up bankrupt and not able to fund the objections to any further culls in whatever form. Sanctions lifted on Badgers i hope that Gamekeepers can soon control Buzards and that Angling clubs can control Cormorants. Everything has to be kept in moderation and controlled even the Badger cull is not total wipeout in the test area's and we do not kill every Deer on our grounds.

RANT OVER

Jimbo

Country sports would benefit hugely from the support of equally vociferous celebrity figures who could raise the public perception and profile in an educated and factual way.

I stood directly behind her in the line to get into the CLA game fair a few years ago she was with her co presenter jonny? and she was a bag of mirth, proper salt of the earth but just with a posh accent.
    Whats an old over the hill rocker got to compare to her? she is still going strong
    Martin

Hooray for clarissa ! She is an absolute star!

At least Clarissa has something sensible to say, unlike the the gibberish from Mr May.atb Tim

Clarrissa would get my vote anyday the woman tells as it is.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY