Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: No. 4(T)

  1. #1

    No. 4(T)

    What should I be looking to pay of a Lee Enfield No. 4T? What would be the key things to look for other than matching serial #'s. I've seen some for 3-4K is this the norm/top notch or pear prices?

    Should I expect a smooth action or are they all pretty rattly like my own No.4 mk III?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    They're going for 3500 and upwards for a good one.
    FAC Firearms & Vintage Guns for Collectors & Shooters of Classic Fire Arms | Pukka Bundhooks would be a good guy to contact and he's a Jock like you. lol

  3. #3
    I think Muir has one (no surprise), and am sure he'll see the title and chime in as well.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I think Muir has one (no surprise), and am sure he'll see the title and chime in as well.
    No. I got rid of mine. It became evident that mine was a very well done fake. I contacted the seller and he took it back. Beware when buying a No4T. There are some very convincing fakes out there made up from genuine parts.~Muir

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    What should I be looking to pay of a Lee Enfield No. 4T? What would be the key things to look for other than matching serial #'s. I've seen some for 3-4K is this the norm/top notch or pear prices?

    Should I expect a smooth action or are they all pretty rattly like my own No.4 mk III?

    Thanks
    Yeah, they rattle. You have a No4 MkIII?? Describe it to me!~Muir

    (Or did you stutter in the capitol "I" )

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Yeah, they rattle. You have a No4 MkIII??

    Describe it to me!~Muir
    ...I was wondering that too!!


    KEY THINGS?

    Have you read the books by Peter Laidler?
    What about the Ian Skennerton books?
    Have you read all the articles concerning fake 4(T)'s on the MilSurps Forum?

    As with lots of things in life, research IS key - but with 4(T)'s - even more so!!
    There are TOO MANY things to look for to allow a quick couple of lines reply on a forum post to guarantee that you'll not get burned with a repro.

    Are you JUST after a 4(T) with scope, or are you after the C.E.S. in the correct transit chest with all the bells & whistles ??

    How about another option?
    One of the modern repro brackets - add reducing spacers - fit a genuine period Lyman Alaskan scope = just saved you about 3K
    You then end up with a very close approximation of one of the variations that the Canadians issued...

    Oh, IF you do go down the 4(T) route send me a PM - I make all the leather accessories for them & also a few others CES items like the correct chamber cleaning stick.

    Jon
    (Lovat Soc. member)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

    (Or did you stutter in the capitol "I" )
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    ...I was wondering that too!!
    Sorry change No4 mkIII to No1 mkIII, typo, sorry... But there was a No4 Mk III was't there?

    With all the various conitations and manufactures it seems like there is a he'll of a lot to learn.

    Sounds like I'm going to have to faily do my home work on this one...
    Last edited by aliS; 26-09-2012 at 12:10.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Sorry change No4 mkIII to No1 mkIII, typo... although with all the various conitations and manufactures it seems like there is a he'll of a lot to learn.

    Sounds like I'm going to have to faily do my home work on this one...
    If you can borrow a copy of Ian Skinnerton's book on Enfields it will help you identify your prospective "T" rifle and accessories. Considering the money you'll be spending, you might want buy a copy. I met Skinnerton in Pasadena, CA half a dozen years back and he offered to buy my minty No1, MkVI Trials Rifle for very little money.
    uh, yeah.....~Muir

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    But there was a No4 Mk III was't there?
    NO. There was no No.4 Mk.III; several versions of the Mk.I, the last version of the No.4 was the Mk.II


    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If you can borrow a copy of Ian Skinnerton's book on Enfields it will help you identify your prospective "T" rifle and accessories. Considering the money you'll be spending, you might want buy a copy. I met Skinnerton in Pasadena, CA half a dozen years back and he offered to buy my minty No1, MkVI Trials Rifle for very little money.
    uh, yeah.....~Muir
    Skennerton: has TWO main books on the topic in hand.
    1. The Lee Enfield Story - a good general summary of the Lee Enfield series
    2. The British Sniper - specific to the sniping rifles & equipment

    It's the second of the two that you should look out for. You'll not get a copy for the thin end of 100 IF you can find one...but as with many similar books, you'll gain from the material it contains AND when/if you come to sell it on you'll not lose money; chances are you'll be able to sell it on for a profit.

    The LAIDLER book is possibly better to buy for the No.4(T) info.
    Peter trained as an armourer on these rifles. He knows them inside out. His book is SPECIFIC to the 4(T).
    It is also still in print so is substantially cheaper than the Skennerton books

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    2. The British Sniper - specific to the sniping rifles & equipment
    Managed to get a copy for 110 inc p&p from over the pond...

    I'll give it a read and see how I get on from there. Thanks to you and Muir for your help.

    I see that there is refernece to a No. 4 Mk 1/3 on the internet, what are they refering to with the 1/3?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •