Thread: Resize after pulling bullets ?

Resize after pulling bullets ?

All,

I've been working up a load in .5 grain increments and have found a sweet spot. I am left with rounds with more or less powder than the optimum amount. I have a collet puller and plan to pull the bullets from these rounds. I will empty the powder out and reuse it.

My question is; do I need to resize the neck of the cases before I reload them? My instinct is that seating a bullet in the neck must expand it, hence it would be best to resize the neck only before re-seating. However, various threads on other forums and a very experienced reloader / mentor (whose opinion I value very highly) have said there's no need to resize.

I'd be grateful for your views.

Also, assuming I do resize, is this safe to do with a primer in place (but no powder in the case).

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    All,

I've been working up a load in .5 grain increments and have found a sweet spot. I am left with rounds with more or less powder than the optimum amount. I have a collet puller and plan to pull the bullets from these rounds. I will empty the powder out and reuse it.

My question is; do I need to resize the neck of the cases before I reload them? My instinct is that seating a bullet in the neck must expand it, hence it would be best to resize the neck only before re-seating. However, various threads on other forums and a very experienced reloader / mentor (whose opinion I value very highly) have said there's no need to resize.

I'd be grateful for your views.

Also, assuming I do resize, is this safe to do with a primer in place (but no powder in the case).

Thanks for your help.

Bob
    Resize if you do not have enough neck tension (ie you can move the bullet with finger pressure) just remove the de-cap pin from your die then you are good to go!

Bob

I sometimes get in the same situation. If it's just a handful of rounds, I shoot them off for practice as they stand. Alternatively, I have pulled the bullet, and emptied the powder out. Then I've run the primed brass through a bushing die with no expander ball. Finally, I have sometimes removed the primers using a depriming die and then resized the empty cases.

I clearly think there's a need to re-tension the neck as neck tension is my current hobby horse. A second factor to consider is whether you had a lot of neck tension or not to start with. If the bullets are hard to pull, they may get damaged in the pulling. Finally, the .5 gr increments you are using probably negate any subtle differences in neck tension. Once I find a sweetish spot, I am inclined to bracket the optimum weight by +- 0.2 gr, so I will do a trial of three loads, one my best result so far, the second 0.2 grains down and the third 0.2 grains up.

Ultimately it's your call, there isn't a right or wrong answer, but whatever you do will add to your knowledge. Good luck. JCS

Agree with your instinct Bob.

We are all after repeatability and if you don't have the same neck tension to start with, one of the building blocks towards this is missing?

A mag full of powder from a failure would ensure that you did it in the future?

If I pull any I run the neck back through the die

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    If I pull any I run the neck back through the die
    Ditto

Mike

I do the same with new cases,most are bent and buckled,doesnt take many minutes to run the necks through

+1 agree with JCS, although before I run the cases through the sizing die, I adjust the decap pin back into the die so saving the primer. It also leaves the expander ball in place to bring back the inside neck dia.
    If you worry about lube, use a small tub of graphite powder on these occasions. It's dry and I've never found it's use harmful to the subsequent reloaded cartridge. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 27-09-2012 at 06:59.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Some great advice there.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Bob