Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaters Wages.

Beaters Wages.

I know that no one in their right mind, does it for the money, but, just wandering what beaters and "pickers up", are being payed, up and down the country, for their contribution to the Guns day? At my grandfathers old shoot, where I've been beating for the last 42 years, we've not had a rise, for about 7 or 8 years. I've just heard that this year, we are getting an extra 5 to make it 25! Don't get me wrong, the keeper looks after ,us in other ways, but I sometimes get the feeling that we are subsidising wealthy peoples sport! If it wasn't for my mate traveling with me the 70 mile round trip (and splitting the fuel cost), I would be out of pocket! Don't even get me started on vet's bills for the dogs! I know of shoots closer to home that are paying more, but, I still love going up to the "old mans place", it's a bit like coming home!
    Kev.

As you said,no one does it for the money.As for subsidising wealthy peoples sport,you need to look closer to home,there is a middle man that is doing nicely out of both of you,i reckon.............

The last place I worked we paid min wage x 7.5 hrs incl lunch, if a grouse day ran late we would pay the extra hours.
    everyone else round here is paying 50 - 65 a day. Beaters , pickers up, young ones, all the same wage. Loaders are slightly different depending on guns/estates.
    this price is both grouse and pheasants.
    i know in Caithness, they don't pay beaters! And still charge the going rate per bird to shoot!
    some places may have a keepers grouse day, all have a pheasant beaters shoot.

25 they are having a laugh.

So much depends on the type of shoot it is. I've run shoots where we just couldn't afford to pay beaters, but we looked after then as well as we could and we kept the same team for years. on big commercial shoots it's a different story but 20 to 25 would be top whack down here.

I guess it depends on the type of shoot, local non comercial shoots around here pay 20-25 with beer and maybe food at the end of the day. No shortage of beaters at that rate. As already been said it's not done for the cash. I shoot & beat.
    Big money comercial shoot may well pay more. But to pay 50-65 it must be hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    So much depends on the type of shoot it is. I've run shoots where we just couldn't afford to pay beaters, but we looked after then as well as we could and we kept the same team for years. on big commercial shoots it's a different story but 20 to 25 would be top whack down here.
    sounds harsh, but if you can't afford beaters you can't afford to shoot.

stick a couple of quid a bird on the retail to guns or get an extra syndicate member to cover the cost.

in this day and age it is only fair. Folk are taking time of work to come along, ok they enjoy it. But someone is profiteering on their good will. To be honest, if you are self employed 65 comes no where near it.

when I was self employed, one estate paid me my usual hourly rate to come and load. The cost is put straight back to the customer, simple business prpractise.

as an industry, how can you be taken seriously when you pay the main workforce cash, way under min wage.

Quote Originally Posted by thistledeyke View Post
    I guess it depends on the type of shoot, local non comercial shoots around here pay 20-25 with beer and maybe food at the end of the day. No shortage of beaters at that rate. As already been said it's not done for the cash. I shoot & beat.
    Big money comercial shoot may well pay more. But to pay 50-65 it must be hard work.
    not hard work, just a decent wage.

not sure what a pint costs with you but 20 doesn't go very far here.

a can of beer is not a form of currency. Most folk are driving and we are dealing with firearms. A social tin of beer or dram is fine but it's not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    not hard work, just a decent wage.

not sure what a pint costs with you but 20 doesn't go very far here.

a can of beer is not a form of currency. Most folk are driving and we are dealing with firearms. A social tin of beer or dram is fine but it's not pay.

At that kind of money (50-65) it's more like making a living. I don't know of a beater who looks for a wage for his day in the field (check out Spiders appeal). Our days are more social most of the guns and beaters are personal freinds and as with "Old Keeper" if times were hard the beaters would still turn up. I did say beer at the end of the day when all the guns are in the slips and the bag has been counted.

Nobody I know goes beating for the money. They enjoy the walk, working their dogs, being part of producing a good day,the chance of a good keepers day etc What I do not agree with is pickers up being paid more than beaters. Ok it is their dogs and the skill of them working an area that should put birds in the bag but how many times after a picking up team have finished that a beater can go over the same ground with a hard hunting team of spaniels and pick more. It's all part of a team effort, beaters/flankers putting birds over guns, guns on form to kill birds and pickers up to fill the bag.
    As long as I am not out of pocket it's a good day.

There are great discrepencies in the rates beaters are paid, some pay for dogs ,others don't , the same with food and
    drink etc.Some shoots are very good but others do tend to live in the dark ages of serfdom etc.Most people go because they enjoy the day and the country etc.It would be nice to see more appreciation of their efforts though!