Thread: Trigger weight

Trigger weight

Is it possible to reduce the pull weight on the trigger of a Howa 1500? I find mine a little heavy.

take it to a competant gunsmith
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenover View Post
    Is it possible to reduce the pull weight on the trigger of a Howa 1500? I find mine a little heavy.
    Yes it is I've got mine to a very satisfactory pull weight have a look on YouTube for howa 1500 trigger adjustment like posted above one thing I will say is adjust it little by little make sure the safety still works the bolt still cycles and also the drop test by gently tapping the butt on the floor to try to engage the firing cycle to make it safe.....

just to clear up a few points on that video...for anyone taking that as gospel.
    "Drawback" and "creep" are not the same.
    The "drawback" he refers to is the amount of movement the trigger can go through and can be adjusted.
    "creep" is an undesirable quality and refers to the way the sear reacts with the cocking piece as it releases in a non-linear way.
    the perfect break is often described as the snap of a glass rod.
    the strength of the trigger dictates how thick that glass rod feels, not how it breaks

you will gain a great deal from polishing and properly profiling the cocking piece and sear interference points to give a clean, predictable break point.

I think sometimes triggers can be set too light to overcome poor break and poor technique as well.
    I would be concerned about a rifle with a standard mauser action that had the trigger set too light, especially if the safety catch did not allow cycling of the bolt whilst on

Technically speaking, "draw back" should be "travel".

I have adjusted some Howa triggers and have found that when set too light, and the safety pushed on, then off, the striker would fall. I don't know if they have cured that....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

I have adjusted some Howa triggers and have found that when set too light, and the safety pushed on, then off, the striker would fall. I don't know if they have cured that....~Muir
    Had the same issue with Howa triggers, didn't seem particulary safe. When closing the bolt released the sear!