Thread: counting roe with a lamp

counting roe with a lamp

Is it possible to get an roughly reliable estimate of roe numbers by walking an area with a lamp at night?

I have two bits of ground, both with quite a few roe, and on one I seem to see many when lamping, and the other none (at all - it's rather spooky that they then reappear at dawn). Any explanations?

One spot I stalk for Roe has large woods and we see very few deer when lamping the open fields for foxes. On another patch with smaller woods we see deer when lamping every time , so I put it down to the amount and quality of the woodland cover.

Have you thought about using night vision equipment instead so that there will be less disturbance to the deer?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If all you are after is a number then yes you can.

If you want further info then no not really.

When I do my counts every year it is to:

A: Assess the population
    B: Assess the quality of the bucks.

Night can be the same as the day, I have a patch of ground where we counted 300 Fallow in one night, a week later we counted 1.

Roe deer are territorial to a certain extent and at certain times of year. What you need to do to count them properly is be on the ground regularly night and day and even if you are stalking mark down all deer seen while out. You will soon know what is about. Night vision is only as good as a lamp and if deer have not been poached or shot at in a light they will stand for as long as you want.Night vision in my opinion is best used were a lamp might bring unwanted attention to some one spending a lot of time in a sensitive area counting.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    If all you are after is a number then yes you can.

If you want further info then no not really.

When I do my counts every year it is to:

A: Assess the population
    B: Assess the quality of the bucks.

Night can be the same as the day, I have a patch of ground where we counted 300 Fallow in one night, a week later we counted 1.
    Fallow deer yes the sure like to travel. In Ireland that's the only reason the are still here is because the have the common sense to keep moving
    other wise the will be hanging around a game dealers yard.

Regards,
    Glendine.

See if you can find someone local with good gen 3 nv it wont disturb anything in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    it's rather spooky that they then reappear at dawn). Any explanations?
    Zombie Roe? Do they have bloodshot eyes and make low moaning sounds? Usually a bit of a giveaway?

Its possibly just the habit they are in. I quite often see deer with the lamp at dead of night but they are no where to be seen at dusk or dawn. They may like to feed at dusk and dawn then lie up rest of the night and the others like to stay awake all night. U may also find they are quite active through the day if mot active throughout the night.