Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How stalkers have changed over the last 15-20 years or have they?

How stalkers have changed over the last 15-20 years or have they?

Hello to all,

I have being thinking about how much stalkers have changed over the last 15 – 20 years.

Most deer stalkers now seem to have a moderator fitted a variable scope, bipods and use aluminium sticks and wear camouflage clothing, face-masks and gloves.

Don’t get me wrong I am advocating that any surplus equipment is hindering performance but just out of shear interest is there anyone out there who still shoots completely offhand using trees and the landscape to support the rifle for a steady shot thus the stalkers only wearing green and his or her equipment basically carrying only a rifle a 4 or 6 power scope a knife and binoculars and a drag rope.

Thanking you all in advance for your time,

Regards,
    Glendine.

My only surplus is around my belly! If I could get back to what I weighed 15-20 years ago I could carry an extra two stone of goodies on the hill with me

I have the same stuff i had twenty years ago except the rifle it is lighter. Dont like cammo unless i am pigeon shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Hello to all,

I have being thinking about how much stalkers have changed over the last 15 – 20 years.

Most deer stalkers now seem to have a moderator fitted a variable scope, bipods and use aluminium sticks and wear camouflage clothing, face-masks and gloves.

Don’t get me wrong I am advocating that any surplus equipment is hindering performance but just out of shear interest is there anyone out there who still shoots completely offhand using trees and the landscape to support the rifle for a steady shot thus the stalkers only wearing green and his or her equipment basically carrying only a rifle a 4 or 6 power scope a knife and binoculars and a drag rope.

Regards,
    Glendine.
    I susspose it can be seen as "moving with modern times" some people will embrace modern equipment and some wont,as long as the end result is the same does it really matter,personally I carry as lease as possable,but I do like to use equipment that makes life easier or makes my shots better.
    you hear time and time again"you dont need that and you dont need this" WHY everyone is different use and carry what you think maybe usefull.
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 26-09-2012 at 09:44.

I'm in no position to comment on the past 20 years of stalking equipment trends, but I can say that as I do a lot of my fieldsports by public transport, I'm constantly trying to optimise my kit, whether for fishing, roughshooting or wildfowling (and now stalking, which presents new challenges!). It used to me quite hard to come up with a compact, lightweight set of gear, but over time, thanks to new technology and experience on my part, it's become much easier. Generally though, out of inclination as well as necessity, I try and carry as little kit with me as I can, partly because I like the simplicity and straightforwardness of not having a dozen possible setups available. It takes that much uncertainty out of the equation.

A friend from Canada brought me a magazine recently that had a feature on what equipment to pack for a day's hunting. There were over forty items and together they must have weighed over 25kg, which is just insane.

Depends on whether stalking on the hill for Reds or lowland for Roe, if on the hill its traditional tweeds breeks at least
    if the weather is bad might top that with a modern cammo style jacket other than that its as you say its rifle, bipod, now have a variable scope but thats a fairly recent addition and I don't know why because its left on one setting, knife binoculars, drag rope, and stout walking stick thats more or less it.

If on the Roe if Bucks in the summer will swap breeks for pair of deerhunter style trousers whether in cammo or plain green is of no importance, swap walking stick for set of tripod shooting sticks.

Really not that much different than I was carrying twenty years ago, added bipod probably about twenty years ago, and variable scope about five.

never used a face mask never found the need found a hat with a brim is enough to shield the face like wise gloves
    hardly ever wear them if I do its because of the cold nothing else, however as I have always worked outdoors
    my hands will not be as white and give me away as easily as someone who works in an office.

I am old school like to travel as light as possible

I am only twenty years old but have a good season which I took 12 bucks under my belt and have some booked for the autumn . I just take a knife ( I make my own ) my tikka 595 in .308 which a good friend of mine gave me a tip off on , apparently they can be hard to come by ? I don't wear Camo , to be honest I don't see what difference it makes , but maybe one day I will be taught ! And I drag the deer back with a leather strap . I'm hooked on stalking and it's only my wallet holding me back !

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    I am only twenty years old but have a good season which I took 12 bucks under my belt and have some booked for the autumn . I just take a knife ( I make my own ) my tikka 595 in .308 which a good friend of mine gave me a tip off on , apparently they can be hard to come by ? I don't wear Camo , to be honest I don't see what difference it makes , but maybe one day I will be taught ! And I drag the deer back with a leather strap . I'm hooked on stalking and it's only my wallet holding me back !
    forgot to say I have a Schmidt 8x56 fixed power . Cracking scope and some minox bins

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Hello to all,

Regards,
    Glendine.
    You been spying on me. The thought of having to drag all that crap through hedges and up and down hills makes me sweat and I'm sitting down.
    Just like my fishing. Rod, bait, hooks, ledgers and me.
    One of my few mod cons...a phone, which is very handy because it can get me out of trouble, can find out where I am, and if I'm bored can keep me entertained shooting virtual animals whilst waiting for the real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    forgot to say I have a Schmidt 8x56 fixed power . Cracking scope and some minox bins
    I need to check in my safe as I think you might have nicked my gear :-)

I must confess that I do wear cammo because I tend to wear army surplus windproof smocks for my stalking. You can get new DPM ones for a few quid and so don't worry about crawling through a fence in them. I was out on Monday and it rained hard all day and the smock treated with Nikwax waterproofing didn't let in any water, if you haven't tried them then give them a go as you will be amazed at how waterproof they are when treated and you'll love paying £5 for a good jacket with excellent pockets, that is light and breathable. The one pocket that I left open on the day was full of water when I came back and I got to within 20 foot of a sika hind (she had 3 stags in attendance that I was interested in) who looked at me a few times but didn't see me as a threat.

When stalking in woodland where the walk is never that great I usually carry more than I should in the pockets as I like to have something to eat and some juice or similar so I can sit against a tree and watch the world go by plus I always carry a few of those chemical lightstick things as they are great for following up a sika shot at very last light - they are light and 4 or 5 of them go in a pocket without my even knowing they are there. In view of the low light possibilities of sika stalking a good torch is also a must and I have one of these Fenix LED things that is very small and light but puts out a lot of light.

Apart from that it is the usual standard gear - knife, binos and I do carry sticks as they serve dual purpose as a walking stick and a rest for the rifle.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/