Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic 223

Subsonic 223

Hi guys,

Has anyone experimented with reloaded 223 with velocities in the subsonic range? I have had some (although tenuous) success with 308s travelling subsonic but I have a piece of land where noise is a major issue and Kent Police have only cleared it up to and including 223.

Would appreciate (anecdoctal or not) experience from other memebers who may have gone down this route.

Patrick

Why would you not use a .22 if you needed subsonic rounds?

A fair question! Sorry I took out the part about needing to bring about the demise of the local fox population which is getting out of control.... hemce the 223. Distance of 80-120m just cant consider that humane with a sub .22

You must have been shooting for a while to be developing subsonic .308 ammo. In my mind it would be easier and cheaper to ask for an open certificate with 308 for fox and then crack on. I know a few people who have done it. Not sure about ricochet issues with sub 308 though.

There again if the fox problem is that bad there are ways and means of getting a fox within range of a .22LR.

hi stay with 22 r/f

yep stick with .22rf or HMR and keep the ranges down.

It can be a dangerous game as you can end up with underfilled cases if you don't use some kind of media type filler. This can result in a 'flashover' or 'detonation' rather than the required 'burn'. This can seriously affect your facial features if you get it wrong!
    Best stick to the .22LR as suggested!
    MS

I guess that's where I will end up returning to, the trusty .22 r/f...

and yes the .308s ricochet but at 200+ metres they have dropped so far they are near vertical into the ground . I have thought about adding .17 to my ticket but they are not quiet enough for this particular piece of land and I can't risk losing my permission by the neighbours complaining to the land owner.

So now more out of curiousity.... has anyone tried hand loaded a .223 with velocities in the sub-sonic range? I can't find any conclusive literature, so either its not possible or its so stupid nobody bothered publishing their findings.....

There's a LOT of data out there on recipes for subsonic 223 loads - you must not have been looking on the right websites!

It IS possible - use of some of the bulkier pistol powders gets better case fill & much lower speeds.
    SOME of the subsonic & lower range work is based around a cast lead bullet - others go to the opposite end of the spectrum by using a heavier than normal 223 bullet - your options may be limited by the rifling rate of your barrel. The cast bullet route also allows you to pick a bullet with a better meplat. IF you go down the cast route you'll need to get ALL the copper fouling out of the barrel or accuracy will suffer...

The advantage of a subsonic c/f is that you get a much heavier bullet at the same speed as the "trusty .22 r/f" = higher muzzle energy

Lapua make dedicated 308 bullets for subsonic use - pity they dont have a 223 one in the product range. Woodleigh also make a heavy 6.8/.277 bullet for the same use.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It can be a dangerous game as you can end up with underfilled cases if you don't use some kind of media type filler. This can result in a 'flashover' or 'detonation' rather than the required 'burn'. This can seriously affect your facial features if you get it wrong!
    Best stick to the .22LR as suggested!
    MS
    Not true.