Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for you Northern Hill Stalkers :)

Questions for you Northern Hill Stalkers :)

I am heading up to the Isle of Lewis next week for a holiday with 6 mates to bag a few stags.

The estate has one stalker and the estate owner has asked me to act as the number 2 stalker so we can get more people out on the hill.

I am normally a Lowland stalker so could you let me know what I need to take with me plus any other tips

Also do any of you use Rucksack with rifle slings for moving around the hill?? For example:

BushWear: Swedteam Backbone Rucksack

Or do you just load up your pockets and hit the hill?

Never seen anyone using one of those, not to say its not a good pice of kit though.
    My advice would be, a small rucksack to carry a piece and a flask. Also a stout walking stick for glassing and help when dragging the beast. Length of rope for dragging the beast as where you're going it is likely to be very rocky so getting an argo/quad to the animal might not be possible.
    The main thing is travel light, knives, ammo etc can all be carried in pockets, for the final crawl the rucksack can be left so you can move forward more easily. Once you have shot the beast then retrieve the rucksack.
    Most of all enjoy the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    I am heading up to the Isle of Lewis next week for a holiday with 6 mates to bag a few stags.

The estate has one stalker and the estate owner has asked me to act as the number 2 stalker so we can get more people out on the hill.

I am normally a Lowland stalker so could you let me know what I need to take with me plus any other tips

Also do any of you use Rucksack with rifle slings for moving around the hill?? For example:

Salmo Salar, Thank you for the advise.

I was going to get one of these BushWear: Swedteam Tracker Rucksack but then I saw the other one which I thought was a pretty good idea. But I think I will take your advise and get the small one, It should be able to carry everything no problems.

Travel as light as you can, take no more than you need on the hill for me its binos, knife, mars bar or energy bar in pocket, short drag rope and stick, not shooting sticks just a stout walking stick serves two purposes, one its an extra leg on steep slopes, plus its an aid to dragging, short rope round base of antlers then around jaw other end tied to stick use two hands on stick keep rope short so as you are lifting head off the ground as you drag.

In hill stalking rifle is normally kept in slip loaded but nothing in chamber until final approach.

Had a couple of Austrians who used rucksacks with rifle slings seemed to work for them, but personally I would never carry that much gear on the hill, leave all the extra stuff in vehicle at the bottom of hill or in Argo if you have one.

BT is correct rifle in slip. I would make sure i had a very long chat with the head stalker he will know were the beast will be in the weather conditions for that day. Also take note of were he says dont shoot as you might not be able to extract a beast from that area. He is the man.

Been using a Harkila rifle carrying waistcoat - which I bought from singing stalker on this site. He'll probably be able to tell you it's proper name. I've found it helluva handy on the hill. Then, as everybody else says, stuff your pockets. How much do you need anyway? Binoculars round neck. Spare gloves in pocket, range finder in pocket, bullets in pocket with phone (on silent), radio, if you have one in pocket, knive(s) in pockets or on belt, stick and rope, or even put the stick through the beast's nostrils and drag away. Have fun.

Which estate on Lewis?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post

Looks like a copy of the Eberlestock range http://www.eberlestock.com/hunting.htm

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Which estate on Lewis?
    Somewhere around the Uig area cant remember the name

pockets and bino case are the only recepticles I use
    rifle in sling, rope either in pocket or round waist.
    knife, hankie, lunch (lots of sugar!), small torch, ziplock bags,
    ammo (although in all the stalks I have ever done I have never required or even loaded the extra 5 rounds I keep in my pocket!)
    if you know your ground and can get water from a burn then great, if not some fluids.

bags get in the way in my opinion