Thread: roe deer teeth

roe deer teeth

I have been intrerested in trying to age roe deer for so years and have saved the lower jaws from some of the deer i and some of my clients have shot over the years.
    I do not clame to be an expert in any way and would wecome your comments and input on this thread.
    firat head and teeth are from animal which is about 11 mounths old you can see the first three new teeth pushing though at the front of the jaw ( you can see this animal in the flesh with scotland rifles in the previous thread in this section)

The next jaw and head is from a good six pointer which i guess is 4-5 years old mybe even less and i am only guessing because of the wear on the teeth, if you think different please let me know.

next one is an old animal all six molars have a lot of wear as you can see.

the only thing you can tell is that the animal is defiantly under or over 14 mounths old, i have found that if the buck has a big head he may not be as old as you think sometimes, your thoughts please guys and girls.
    hope this thread helps some of the new guys.

regards anthony

Hi Tony

I can't help with your question,

but that wee head from my stalk looks very nice,

i see what you mean with the photos, not as easy as some make it.

good luck.

bob.

You can assess roe's age from teeth quite easily. Although teeth wear can change from place to place.

1. The first one is a young buck (First head). These are sometimes tricky because milk teeth are quite worn and up to some point you do not see permanent teeth below.

2. Second one is 3rd head (4th year of life). Second head would have very sharp edges, you could easily feel that with your fingers without even looking. The 4th haed on the other hand would have the black mark in the middle of the tooth (I call it register - do not know english term for it) on the third tooth almost invisible.

3. The third buck would have its 6th head (7th year of life).
    At 5th year of life the mark on the third thoots disapears and with every another year it disapears from the following tooth.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Hi Bob,
    if you wont that head, as its your first just let me know.

Thanks for your help Greg, thats what like about this site lots of very good advice.

regards Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat
    Hi Bob,
    if you wont that head, as its your first just let me know.

Thanks for your help Greg, thats what like about this site lots of very good advice.

regards Anthony
    if you are finished with it Tony.

i would love to have it.

thank you,

bob.