Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gutless method

Gutless method

I am sure some of you have seen this, but if i am lucky enough to get an Elk down in Montana when i visit i might try this method.
    Might go a step further and to reduce weight bone out the meat
    I must say i like the look of the Havalon knives.

Cheers
    Richard

Thats an interesting watch, thanks for sharing. Do you know why do they have to keep the testicles? Is is a requirement or that they are worth something?

Oli

Proof of the sex of the animal taken, it has to remain attached to prove to any official that stops them to inspect their permit, and that they have the correct permit to harvest a cow or bull.
    Cheers
    Richard

I would imagine that keeping the testicles proves the meat you're carrying is from a buck, whereas without them you may have shot a doe and are just saying you shot a buck without a way to prove or disprove it.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    I would imagine that keeping the testicles proves the meat you're carrying is from a buck, whereas without them you may have shot a doe and are just saying you shot a buck without a way to prove or disprove it.
    I reckon that chap used to work in a knacker yard.

That's a cracking vid but I love the look of those knifes might have to get me one.
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

99% of the deer I shoot for meat I'd do this way.We usually call it "Taking the weels & backstraps".
    As we dont see much snow in this part of the world the skin is left on the back legs to help keep them clean.
    I usually dont take the front weels,& I always try to smash these anyway with the shot.
    Often there is a "little bit long way" to carry out & quick time to prevent spoilage is important.

Somehow,I dont think that guy has worked in a knackers. Look at his hands. I don't think he's ever done much manual work.lol
    Jewellery in a butchery vid ???

Cheers Sharkey

He's done that a few times i'd say

A stupid question but why does he not jist gut/gralloch it? When he was taking the tender lions out it looked a bit off a struggle, would have thought forthe 30odd secs it would take him to do a quick/rough gut would make it a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    He's done that a few times i'd say

A stupid question but why does he not jist gut/gralloch it? When he was taking the tender lions out it looked a bit off a struggle, would have thought forthe 30odd secs it would take him to do a quick/rough gut would make it a lot easier.
    I believe it is used when the whole animal is not going to be recovered immediately, sometimes it can be miles away from the nearest track let alone tarmac, this way it is jointed up on site, and even de-boned in some cases.
    Cheers
    Richard

I understand that part about jointing in field, but i thought it would be easier to gut the beast even very roughly to take the tender loins out, u could then get easy access, see and get hands in easier, as it looked akward for him with the stomach in his way quite often, and he was making things look easy, imagine would be a real pain for less experienced folk.

He did make a very quick and tidy job of buterching it thou