Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meindl Dovre Extreme or Taiga?

Meindl Dovre Extreme or Taiga?

I have seen a lot of people raving about the Dovre boots, but does anybody have any experience of the Taiga boots? Also, the last leather boots I had were le chameaux mouflon, which aside from being rubbish, squeeked a lot! Do these suffer with the same issues?
    This is due to the need to replace a faulty pair of Harkila boots so feel free not to recommend any of their products to me, currently not overly impressed with Harkila!

Cheers in advance......

Miendl very good but not the warmest don't squeak if looked after ! Going to try black islander which I am hearing good things about
    norma

Thanks norma, I'd looked at the black islander, they look interesting, I've not heard any reviews of them though. I guess being warm isn't the biggest issue, so I wouldn't rule out meindl on those grounds, interested to hear opinions though.
    Cheers
    DS

[QUOTE=deerstalker.308;445259]I have seen a lot of people raving about the Dovre boots, but does anybody have any experience of the Taiga boots? Also, the last leather boots I had were le chameaux mouflon, which aside from being rubbish, squeeked a lot! Do these suffer with the same issues?
    This is due to the need to replace a faulty pair of Harkila boots so feel free not to recommend any of their products to me, currently not overly impressed with Harkila!

Cheers in advance......[

I have the mendl dovre, great boot, but if I had to pick after giving a lot of stick to both - Lowa Mt extreme - excellent and slightly more comfort.

The taiga is a softer leather, almost suede. It's also got a lower rubber anti scuff round the front and side of the boot. I think they're slightly lighter as well. In my opinion they are not as hard wearing as the Dovre but it depends on the ground you're stalking and what your needs are.

I've tried both and the dovre is the boot for me.

What is your general usage going to be? ie terrain, conditions etc. Is it every day use or the odd day/weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastStalker View Post
    The taiga is a softer leather, almost suede. It's also got a lower rubber anti scuff round the front and side of the boot. I think they're slightly lighter as well. In my opinion they are not as hard wearing as the Dovre but it depends on the ground you're stalking and what your needs are.

I've tried both and the dovre is the boot for me.

What is your general usage going to be? ie terrain, conditions etc. Is it every day use or the odd day/weekend?
    Thanks for that, usage wise, nothing like what you guys oop north are faced with, regular daily use yes, but easy and generally dry underfoot, certainly not bashing through heather and bogs, but I don't want to have to have multiple pairs for different uses so I'll go for the toughest I can afford now, no point messing about with half measures!

Black islander are what I'm going for next that's for sure had a look at a pair to day and looks miles ahead of anything I have ever seen before that's where my money is going

Meindl first, second and third choice. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Thanks for that, usage wise, nothing like what you guys oop north are faced with, regular daily use yes, but easy and generally dry underfoot, certainly not bashing through heather and bogs, but I don't want to have to have multiple pairs for different uses so I'll go for the toughest I can afford now, no point messing about with half measures!
    I would possibly say that the taiga sounds better suited to your usage. It's softer nubuck leather I think from memory. It's also a slightly lighter and softer sole. Look after them, clean them after use and don't go over the top with the amounts of cleaning products you put on them and they'll do you well. General opinion seems to be that if you chuck loads of wax etc onto the boot then it treats the leather and waterproofs, but it can rot the stitching if you put on too much and the product isn't given the appropriate time to dry and do its job.

Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I bought my first pair of blackislanders 5 years ago and they were a great boot. i was getting 2 seasons out of a pair which was good for me and the maintenance was very low. but last 2 pairs i got were rubbish not even lasting a season and i have heard similar reports from other hill stalkers about them. Iv bought a pair of dovers this season and doing fine so far but early days. but would not recomend black islanders.