Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: now heres an idea

now heres an idea

Now I have been known to think up som pretty daft ideas but this has to beat all.

I started thinking about using some old rail I have for a running boar range. The differance being it would be for an air rifle. Then I got to thinking that if say the full bore shoots at say 2100 fps and my 177 is say 700 fps thats a third, now to save the maths instead of shooting at 45 yards I shoot at 15 yards and instead of 15 miles an hour the target travels at 5 miles an hour , do i get the same sight picture as the real thing? Because if I do, not only would it be a good laugh but I might learn something at the same time.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Regards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Oh and the pig target would have to be a third the size of the real thing
    Last edited by stalkinginengland; 26-09-2012 at 18:54. Reason: got my pig sizes wrong
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk

math not quite right.
    The speed would have to stay the same i.e. 15mph.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    math not quite right.
    The speed would have to stay the same i.e. 15mph.
    Thats the sort of feedback I hoped for. I wont ask why but I take it your sure of that? I really think this is a good idea.

But thinking about it maybe not.
    Bit of pythag needed me thinks.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    But thinking about it maybe not.
    Bit of pythag needed me thinks.
    Now thats more like it, debate

The whole point of this exercise is to get you used to swinging the rifle at the speed a boar runs at. There is little point in swinging at 5mph when a pig comes passed much faster.

Keep the speed the same.

Shoot from 15 yards, at a target 1/3 the size. I reckon.

Limulus is right, same speed, target thrid of the size, same as distance a third... But... Em... It'll be grand...

15mph is about 24kph
    if the target was visible for 4 seconds then it would travel 24x1000x4/60x60=~27m no matter how far away it was
    Quad sticks

As others have said keep the same speed as you have brought the distance closer the pellet only has 1/3 of the distance to travel as its only 1/3 power of the larger caliber.