Thread: Electronic tracking collar

Electronic tracking collar

Without derailing recent threads I thought I'd start a new one. The Garmin astro is illegal to use in the U.K. Until they sort out the frequencies. I've found a collar that uses GPS and Radio to show the whereabouts of the dog. It does have a yearly subscription but it is also a very good alarm system if you have dogs in kennels. You can set a proximity alarm and if it leaves the area it will ring several numbers. You get full mapping with it to use on your phone which you do not need a phone signal to use.

What do you think? Portable GPS Tracking Device, Portable GPS Tracking Systems - Retrieva Tracking

Have you got a price for it.I looked and it aint cheap.
    I have and know others who also have the Garmin Astro 320,with the D C 40 collar . It is really fantastic to use and I asked a friend in special branch about the legalities of using it and he said not a problem. They are also illegal in most European countries including Germany. They have an output of 3.2 Watts and the military/ police etc use 7watts so do not tamper with the devise to increase this and you will be ok.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

I love it when I can just phone someone up to keep me right instead of having to do all the groundwork myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    Have you got a price for it.I looked and it aint cheap.
    I have and know others who also have the Garmin Astro 320,with the D C 40 collar . It is really fantastic to use and I asked a friend in special branch about the legalities of using it and he said not a problem. They are also illegal in most European countries including Germany. They have an output of 3.2 Watts and the military/ police etc use 7watts so do not tamper with the devise to increase this and you will be ok.
    regardles of how many watts you push out you would still be using an emergency services frequency.

The price is here but remember it does a few more things than tell you the location! Portable GPS Tracking Systems, GPS Tracking Dog Collars Costs - Retrieva Tracking

i do not have anything go do with this company but I do like te idea!

It looked tempting so I gave Retrieva a ring. Very helpful but they told me it rally only worked when you have mobile phone reception ie no good for most of us.
    They tell me you can buy a gadget from somebody else in conjunction with their system for outside telephone range but that only gives the direction, not the distance.

In the meantime my US tracking friends emailed to say the Garmin Alpha is now alailable. It also does things I do not need, electric chocks, but I'll spend some time reading the reviews.

There are 2 types of Garmin Astro. The one for the US market and the Garmin Astro Nordic that uses 155mz The same frequency as our hunting radios.
    The Garmin Astro Nordic is by far the most popular tracking device sold here.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    It looked tempting so I gave Retrieva a ring. Very helpful but they told me it rally only worked when you have mobile phone reception ie no good for most of us.
    They tell me you can buy a gadget from somebody else in conjunction with their system for outside telephone range but that only gives the direction, not the distance.

In the meantime my US tracking friends emailed to say the Garmin Alpha is now alailable. It also does things I do not need, electric chocks, but I'll spend some time reading the reviews.
    Baron, I'm sure I read it could be used with no mobile signal. I will investigate further!