Thread: first crack agt reloading success

first crack agt reloading success

Ok,following from all my posts and everyones kind input.Had a very successfull evening at the range tonight,and in all honesty i am extatic with the results.I started with .2 increments in powder,with results varying up to and eventually 39gr,much better than any factoryammo Ive had.
    I know it's early days but i have a few tweeks to go.
    1 thing i didn't do was trim the cse,the only reason were the sizes were carying in length but the over all cartridge lengths were similar,wtith bullet seated similar in all loads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000179.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	19598

Thanks again for everyones help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000179.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    Ok,following from all my posts and everyones kind input.Had a very successfull evening at the range tonight,and in all honesty i am extatic with the results.I started with .2 increments in powder,with results varying up to and eventually 39gr,much better than any factoryammo Ive had.
    1 thing i didn't do was trim the cse,the only reason were the sizes were carying in length but the over all cartridge lengths were similar,wtith bullet seated similar in all loads.

You've got something right there! Make sure you record all the details. I've forgotten to do this more than once thinking I would remember.

Just be careful with case length. The cases may not have needed trimming this time round but with resizing they will soon stretch and the last thing you want is pressure problems if the case starts encroaching on the lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    You've got something right there! Make sure you record all the details. I've forgotten to do this more than once thinking I would remember.

Just be careful with case length. The cases may not have needed trimming this time round but with resizing they will soon stretch and the last thing you want is pressure problems if the case starts encroaching on the lands.
    Wow!! that sure is one serious problem if the case stretches to anywhere near the lands

Name:	chamber-1-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	19618
    If you look at the drawing of a chamber you will see that the problem that we avoid by trimming cases
    is at the juncture of the neck and 'second shoulder'.
    An over length case will 'crimp' a bullet at this point causing pressure problems.
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 27-09-2012 at 05:39. Reason: Pic.

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Wow!! that sure is one serious problem if the case stretches to anywhere near the lands

Name:	chamber-1-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	19618
    If you look at the drawing of a chamber you will see that the problem that we avoid by trimming cases
    is at the juncture of the neck and 'second shoulder'.
    An over length case will 'crimp' a bullet at this point causing pressure problems.
    Well done jb. You knew what I was getting at! Where did you find the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post

Excellent results - is the 5 shots?