Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Argocat Extortion

Argocat Extortion

Surely I can't be the only person that thinks the prices charged for Argo's these days is extortionate.
    Dont get me wrong, they are fantastic at what they do, but they are far too expensive for what they are.

If anyone on here knows of any engineering type businesses surely someone could could come up with something as good but at a fraction of the price.
    Speaking to one gamekeeeper the other day, who has taken delivery of a new Avenger with the short cab and roll over protection the cost.... wait for it..... 22k Yes 22k for lets face it a molded plastic tub, with a simple chain drive system with a lawnmower engine!!

Bloody hell, my lawnmower has more bits to it than an argo and cost a fraction of the price

The small number made probably effects the price as there are few economies of scale. Mind you the price rather effects the numbers sold so there are few economies of scale.!!!

David.

Also a relatively captive market with very little competition. An estate that I recently stalked for a red stag runs 3 Argocat which are replaced on a three year cycle, they are considering a competitive product from Polaris as an alternative. Having been in an Argocat in the Scottish highlands they really can go anywhere with very little affect on the terrain it is travlleing on, any alternative has a hard act to follow.

i seem to remember seeing a website a couple of years ago of Argos made in china. Whether they would be any good im not sure, dont see why the wouldnt i suppose because as said they are simple things.

A quad on tracks is the ticket. Will go where an argo wont as far better groud clearence. Granted not so handy for a passenger or multiple carcase's but with the extra in your pocket you can live with it. Safer too as a lot easier to jump of than it is getting out of an argo in a slide or tumble. I can change from tracks to wheels in an hour so you get the best of both.

GT

put mine in for service before the start of the season to main dealer. Total cost for collection and drop of plus full service and replacement of several bearings and a couple of shafts 2000. Two days later after very little use main bearing below drive shaft collapsed which I had to repair myself. Spoke to the parts guy and asked him about the bearings, was it me being hard on the machine causing all these bearings to go and he told me he can not keep enough of them in stock and sell thousands of them every year. This machine is about 5/6 years old and does work hard however it is a pain in the neck. Came in tonight and the other stalker tells me there is a problem with it not going into reverse so the gearbox is getting changed tomorrow, just what I need in the middle of the stags.

We recently went on a utility vehicle and quad with a conversion called I think lightfooter or something like that, that's the way to go in my opinion been on a argo quite a few times and think a caterpillar track type of converted vehicle would be my choice most certainly
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 27-09-2012 at 19:51.

been thinking about how to manufacture cheaper and better alternatives myself to be honest.. the issue with the argo, apart from the obvious cost of repair and servicing is the lack of a ramp for dragging in deer, in the uk we don't use them for sailing, so waterproofing is not so much of an issue, and quite we're more likely to get flooded from above anyway! LOL.

I think the steering could be improved and I think a more universal set of parts (esp. those that tend to need replacing) would be handy, I also think it could be made more quiet and the seats more comfortable (not that it's meant to be a 'comfort' vehicle.

the big one for me is its issue with snow. when I've been extracting hinds/calves in the snow it always struggles. it could really do with the ability to accomodate wider and bigger 'snow tyres' somehow...

it's a small market, really small - in order to make the creation of an alternative viable you'd have to make it attractive to other consumers, like argo has, and be able to sell to foreign markets, and that makes the manufacturing very very expensive! otherwise you'd have to do it locally with just you and a buddy or two and keep it a small-time operation.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    been thinking about how to manufacture cheaper and better alternatives myself to be honest.. the issue with the argo, apart from the obvious cost of repair and servicing is the lack of a ramp for dragging in deer, in the uk we don't use them for sailing, so waterproofing is not so much of an issue, and quite we're more likely to get flooded from above anyway! LOL.

I think the steering could be improved and I think a more universal set of parts (esp. those that tend to need replacing) would be handy, I also think it could be made more quiet and the seats more comfortable (not that it's meant to be a 'comfort' vehicle.

the big one for me is its issue with snow. when I've been extracting hinds/calves in the snow it always struggles. it could really do with the ability to accomodate wider and bigger 'snow tyres' somehow...

it's a small market, really small - in order to make the creation of an alternative viable you'd have to make it attractive to other consumers, like argo has, and be able to sell to foreign markets, and that makes the manufacturing very very expensive! otherwise you'd have to do it locally with just you and a buddy or two and keep it a small-time operation.
    These will help with the snow also

Expensive to buy and not cheap to maintain, the new model seems to be a couple of grand each year to repair and service. I think the issue is the wieght, esp with the full roll cage , it makes it front heavy and the roll cage makes the body rigid so it doesnt flex and grip the ground well . On really steep ground it would be safer to have just a single over the cab bar than the full cage because if it rolls it'll keep going rather than dig in. The polaris is pretty good and a damn site more comfortable than the argo .It can go most places with care but if you catch a rock or a hag on the steep with one of the front wheels it's wanting to topple. I think there is a version of the argo with a mid mounted engine this looks like it would be better for the steep ground