Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sensible outcome...

A sensible outcome...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...criminals.html

A good riposte to the "criminals are courageous" idiot.

interesting choice of words... "expect"

I should like to shake that judges hand , we should all have the right to protect our property .

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    I should like to shake that judges hand , we should all have the right to protect our property .
    Bottom line is you are really protecting yourself and your family because you do not know what kind of nutter has just smashed the kitchen window.
    This is just what the ner do wells should be expecting. It is only human nature to protect onesself and no law written can override that base instinct in a crisis moment.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    No you shouldn't have the right to protect your property with a fire-arm, you should (and do) however have the right to protect your family if you feel life is endangered... It's all in the wording and perceived threat.

I think the ruling is more a message to discourage burgalurs rather than a thumbs up to open season on thugs, low-lifes and ****wits.

the yank in me (even though I'm not american) feels you SHOULD have the right to protect your property,,it's YOURS for no one else to take or damage. if they do, they've given up any rights as they've breached your right to ownership, freedom, and privacy.

Under common law we have the legal right to use reasonable force to:

Defend ourselves
    Prevent an attack on another person
    Defend our property

Reasonable force is, of course a moot point, however in a famous case back in the 70ís I think it was the Judge made it clear that when someone is being attacked they did not have the benefit of time to fully assess the situation, so may well react instinctively.

David

Its nice a case like this happened where the firearm was legal and it done correctly, its also a case with career criminals with a history of violence so there is a real chance the firearm saved them that evening. The only issue was why they were arrested and locked up for 40 hours, with the media attention you do wonder if the CPS were lent on from a great height to sort it out.
    Guess you hope it never happens to you and if so you need a decent excuse how you got the gun out of the cabinet fast enough.

Well they have been terrorised by the police and thugs and friends of thugs so that now they have had to bring forward their departure from the UK and this experience will stay with them for a long time the thugs however only got 4 yrs reduced if they behave themselves.
    It used to be the thugs who were sent to the Antipodies.
    What a world.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    No you shouldn't have the right to protect your property with a fire-arm, .
    Having had more break ins that I can remember on our farm and with our tractors all costing around the 80 -110 grand mark to replace I disagree . Of course I know we don't have the right but is till believe we should .