Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .222 twist vs bullet weight

.222 twist vs bullet weight

what bullets in the lighter range are people using in their .222's?

I have a good 50gr Vmax and 50gr SP load at the moment but have been offered some 34gr at a very good price.
    am I going to struggle to chuck these down a BRNO Fox barrel without 12 bore looking targets?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what bullets in the lighter range are people using in their .222's?

I have a good 50gr Vmax and 50gr SP load at the moment but have been offered some 34gr at a very good price.
    am I going to struggle to chuck these down a BRNO Fox barrel without 12 bore looking targets?
    No reason at all they would not shoot well. 222's typically have a 14" twist. This is more than is required for a 34gr bullet, but no big deal. I used 40's in the 222 for a while, but I prefer the 50's personally.

Anyone shooot many Muntjac with the 222?

I am think of taking mine along to Suffolk next February for our culling weekend. Would use 55gr Hornady BTSP in it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Dont shoot any muntjac with mine but shoot plenty roe deer. Its knocks them
    down no problem what so ever. Thats using the same bullets as yourself. Hope that helps.

I have shot 35 grain Vmax and 34 grn Dog Town in my Winchester. I didn't drive them too hot but they were under MOA.~Muir

(That said, there is no guarantee that the bullets you get will shoot well just on the principle that some guns don't like some bullets. I get larger groups with 52 grain Nosler Competition bullets then I do with bulk-packed 50 grain Speer TNT's. Go figure.)
    Last edited by Muir; 27-09-2012 at 11:59.

thanks.
    not trying to reinvent the wheel but if the price is right ...

may try a handful first

40gn Nosler BT orange ones...With a bit of N133 thrown In...

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    No reason at all they would not shoot well. 222's typically have a 14" twist. This is more than is required for a 34gr bullet, but no big deal. I used 40's in the 222 for a while, but I prefer the 50's personally.

Anyone shooot many Muntjac with the 222?

I am think of taking mine along to Suffolk next February for our culling weekend. Would use 55gr Hornady BTSP in it.
    Yes, the .222 will take muntjac down very well. I've shot a number using the Federal 50gr SP factory cartridges which I was given when I bought the rifle. They hold together well and will pass through both shoulders without excessive damage, furtherest taken was just over 100 metres. I'm trying to replicate this load at the moment with Hornady and Sierra 50gr SP's. Muzzle velocity / energy is not a problem, av. 3,130 fps with 21 gr of IMR 4198 through my 20" barrelled T3 but these bullets are perhaps not quite as tough as whatever is in the Federal load. I wish I knew what they are as they also perform well on fox. I have an accurate load developed for fox with 40gr V-Max but in my experience the 50gr SP puts them down with a bit more authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian243 View Post
    Yes, the .222 will take muntjac down very well. I've shot a number using the Federal 50gr SP factory cartridges which I was given when I bought the rifle. They hold together well and will pass through both shoulders without excessive damage, furtherest taken was just over 100 metres. I'm trying to replicate this load at the moment with Hornady and Sierra 50gr SP's. Muzzle velocity / energy is not a problem, av. 3,130 fps with 21 gr of IMR 4198 through my 20" barrelled T3 but these bullets are perhaps not quite as tough as whatever is in the Federal load. I wish I knew what they are as they also perform well on fox. I have an accurate load developed for fox with 40gr V-Max but in my experience the 50gr SP puts them down with a bit more authority.
    I load for my .222 with the hornady 50g sp. they are verry very accurate and fox and roe deer dnt go very far. Very good killing load. I use hogdon benchmark powder, 23.5grn wrks very well in my rifle.Very fast very flat and no meat damage watso ever, neat entry hole and nice neat exit hole. Better than any of the factory stuff i have used before i began reloading

I am really looking for experience of running sub 40gr rounds through the .222
    as muir points out there seems to be some thoughts that they dont like being pushed too fast

just wondering if there is anyone over here who has used the Dogtown rounds to good effect and whether there is any first hand evidence of the speed issues or what they do to targets. they are Sp rather than BT as I understand

I shot a few foxes and hares with the BArnes Varmint Grenade, (36 gn I think). It was OK, shot reasonable groups. That was out of a HB Sako 222.