dropmdead

Just question to see who has what.....
Over barrel moderator (t8 etc) or end of barrel?

Is there any benefit of accuracy of either kind if they all have similar noise suppression, and similar overall rifle length?

Do you find the overbarrell variety quieter?

Just question to see who has what.....
Over barrel moderator (t8 etc) or end of barrel?

Is there any benefit of accuracy of either kind if they all have similar noise suppression, and similar overall rifle length?

Do you find the overbarrell variety quieter?

It's not an easy question. I got together with another forum member a while back and as we both have 1/2 inch x 20 UNF threaded moderators without bushes we went and had a test shoot. There was nothing to chose between an AU-S5 and an Ase Utra North Star and I shot both mods with my stalking rifle and my friend did like wise with his stalking rifle.

Some years earlier I had been shooting my then Mannlicher Pro-Hunter in 260 Rem with Remington factory ammo. Trading in the T8 for the AU-S5 mentioned above, halved the group size for me shooting with my rifle with the same factory ammo. For me, based on my limited experience (and being an engineer to training), I would not have an over the barrel moderator again, however other folk will have had exactly the opposite experience and hold the opposite view.

The only way forward is to test your rifle with various moderators and see what you observe, keeping in mind at all times that not all moderators are .30 cal. Also keeping in mind, that the ammunition performance may vary as you try different moderators. It might be tricky to discriminate between a load issue and a moderator issue. I develop all my loads with the moderator on.

Regards JCS

ASE Ultra (AU-S5) and the MAE T12 (full length) are the two best I've used - for me they met the needs of being light, not adding too much length, and very good noise reduction.

I currently used the MAE because I prefer the balance it gives and it barely potrudes past the barrel. I also found accuracy was improved due to lack of muzzle flip, however as a rule adding weight to your rifle barrel can make it do funny things when it's hot - and over barrel mods do hold the heat against the barrel. They are only really meant as hunting moderators as they get very hot with continuous fire and mark the barrel.

Back