Thread: Dog Blood Bank

Dog Blood Bank

http://www.petbloodbankuk.org/

Speaks for itself guys.....I am going to try and donate some from my dog when she is older.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    http://www.petbloodbankuk.org/

Speaks for itself guys.....I am going to try and donate some from my dog when she is older.
    Hello Chickenman.

I took my yellow lab to give blood three weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the way it was done..... Being a little sceptical at first, I watched a clip of the process on You Tube, and was worried that my dog may not lie still for 5 mins, but he was a star on the day, and took it in his stride.... The team at the clinic were excellent, and very efficient. It took under 4 mins to give 475ml in the end, he got a full check up beforehand to ensure he was in good health, and afterwards his bloods came back all clear for a wide range of nasties they look for. So all in all a good outcome.... Did not use a lead on him for a couple of days after, but there were no negative effects of the process. He just wanted to drink more than normal for 12 hours after.

When they stick the needle in the jugular vein it is disconcerting, but I was probably more worried than the dog !!!!

I will be doing it again, and think it is very worthwhile - IMO...

All the best.

Neil.

Best I dont tell Piper about the big needle and glad to see you took your dog. I think it is a great idea and for anyone stalking who have good healthy strong dogs I am sure their dogs blood would be most welcome. The flip side is, you might need the blood for your own dog one day especially due to the nature of the work the dogs do.

Cheers

pete