Blaser Bolt sticks shut

Alexj

Here's one for the Blaser experts. I was playing with my recently acquired R8 today, running in the new 30-06 barrel. The bolt would not release to clear the chamber, unless I pushed the de-cocker further up, in the direction of cocking (similar to the slight lift you give it, to open the bolt when it's not cocked). I have not had this problem in .243 though. I am told the bolt head is the same for both these rounds, it certainly extracts OK once the bolt releases and if the bolt head was too long, I suppose the bolt would not be able to close. I ran out of time to swap back to .243 to see if the problem persisted (hooter sounded and had to get back to work!).
Either way, I need to sort this out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards

Alex

Just checked on my .243, when not cocked it needs a slight upward push to release , when cocked it doesn't need to be moved to release. atb Tim

Hi Tim,

Mine has been doing things right when I shoot it with the .243 barrel, it's is as though the bigger bang is sticking it.

Alex

Hi Alex, I did have a similar sticking problem with my R93, this was caused by some faulty factory ammo, sometimes the primers blew out when this happened. Just to eliminate this try using a different batch. atb Tim

I will give it a go, so far I have only used one variety. Looking at the empties, the primers are still flush with base, i am waiting on some 150gn fusion rounds, I have heard the 30-06 barrels like them. I hope they help the situation.

Alex

My R8 .243 shoots best wth Federal ammunition, although I now reload these are based on the Federal case dimensions and have similar accuraccy. atb Tim

Thanks for the help Tim.
My .243 barrel, shoots the Federal power shock in 100gn best too.

Regards

Alex

i did have this problem with my .243 barrel on my R93 with some factory ammo i got when i purchased the barrel but the 7x57 and 30-06 barrels are fine and they all use the same bolt head
P.S. the 30-06 loves 165grn sierra soft points but the deer don't :D

Hi D1,

Thanks for the info, it's actually comforting to know it was just the ammo for you, I've only tried one type so far, so this could be the answer.

Do you reload, or can you find sierra stuff "ready rolled"?

Atb Alex

The fact is that I would expect the rifle to work with any factory ammo and so would be referring this to whoever you bought it from in the first instance. I've no idea what the service is like now but when Alan Rhone was Blaser agent this would be met with an immediate request to send it in for testing and, if necessary, repair and you'd have your rifle back within the week.

This is one of the major advantages of a traditional turnbolt, the unscrewing of the lugs cams out the case for the first bit of movement. Straight pull you have to get it moving yourself. (Hard hat on!)

David

Last edited:
The fact is that I would expect the rifle to work with any factory ammo
Having had firsthand experience of faulty factory ammo causing a similar problem I wouldn't rule it out. Blasers are pretty robust and certainly not a problem that you might expect on a new R8. atb Tim

It's a Bling Bling Blaser what do you expect ? Has anyone had this problem with a Sako or a Tikka or a Sauer or a CZ or a Heym or a Savage or even the much derided Remington ? Hmm thought not. :stir:

It's a Bling Bling Blaser what do you expect ? Has anyone had this problem with a Sako or a Tikka or a Sauer or a CZ or a Heym or a Savage or even the much derided Remington ? Hmm thought not. :stir:
Well actually I have, that's why I changed to a Blaser, far more reliable and you don't have to get all those aftermarket bits that other makes appear to need either. atb Tim :cool:

Well there is alway one d--ck quick to comment on the Blaser.
I had a Remington proir to my Blaser and had a problem I extracting spent cases. Bolt would not open.
Get your facts right before posting Shbangsteve !

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, I will try some different ammo this week and also see if it performs correctly back in .243 configuration.

I'll reserve judgement until then.

Alex

Well there is alway one d--ck quick to comment on the Blaser.
Get your facts right before posting Shbangsteve !

And another fundamentalist Braser owner over reacts to a bit of light humour because it is a critic of his beloved rifle:rolleyes:, get life and a sense of humour it is only an overpriced piece of die cast metal he is making fun of:stir:, it is not like he has called you wife or mother for having lesser morals, or even worst said that your dog is cr*p.:evil: :evil:

Tahr

And another fundamentalist Braser owner over reacts to a bit of light humour because it is a critic of his beloved rifle:rolleyes:, get life and a sense of humour it is only an overpriced piece of die cast metal he is making fun of:stir:, it is not like he has called you wife or mother for having lesser morals, or even worst said that your dog is cr*p.:evil: :evil:

Tahr
Envy or what!

Envy or what!

Tim we have been before this before, don’t judge me by the shallow materialistic values that you another Blaser Fundamentalist hold. Your post obviously takes the position that a Baser is something to aspire to, something that you think I cannot afford, and yet you know nothing of my financial position, If I so wished I could replace every gun I own for Blaser. The rifle I use most cost the same as Blaser anyway. :cuckoo:

By saying that none Blaser owners are envious of you then one must concluded that you think owning expensive products such as their rifles puts you in a position above those that don’t? Are you proud of you rifle? do you think it makes you superior to somebody that owns another make of rifle? even if it is all he can afford.

I posted on this subject as an observation to the way some but not all Blaser owners react to the criticism of their rifles.

Now anymore and I will put them photos up again of the Blaser that let go big style and nearly killed it owner.:doh::evil:

Tahr

Last edited:
Back