Thread: infected eye socket

infected eye socket

There is a buck on a bit of land I stalk who has recently lost an eye (I suspect a rut injury).

I've not been able to get a very good look at him (only seen him at night since he lost it), but from what I can make out, the socket is quite badly infected.

I have obviously been looking out for him when out stalking during the day.

My question is whether the meat would still be edible, or whether I should just shoot him on humane grounds if I get the chance?

personally, I would shoot him on humane grounds. Don't get me wrong I once shot a doe with only one eye, they get on fine with just one and what condition that she was in. Never did see her with a kid though.

Dw

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    There is a buck on a bit of land I stalk who has recently lost an eye (I suspect a rut injury).

I've not been able to get a very good look at him (only seen him at night since he lost it), but from what I can make out, the socket is quite badly infected.

I have obviously been looking out for him when out stalking during the day.

My question is whether the meat would still be edible, or whether I should just shoot him on humane grounds if I get the chance?
    the meat can enter the food chain after the useall inspection ,if its infected its not going to get any better ideal cull animal imo

It is not something that we can call from our armchairs!

It depends how bad the infection is, what the local and distant lymph nodes are like and if the carcase 'sets' ok.

This is the point of the post-mortem meat inspection.

Likely ok, but always the possibility it is having more of a debilitating/systemic effect and the carcase may not be fit.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It is not something that we can call from our armchairs!

It depends how bad the infection is, what the local and distant lymph nodes are like and if the carcase 'sets' ok.

This is the point of the post-mortem meat inspection.

Likely ok, but always the possibility it is having more of a debilitating/systemic effect and the carcase may not be fit.
    +1 on that.....I would cull immediately.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

We occassionaly get roe with an infected eye, most have been caused by what we call "new forest disease" seen in cattle and sheep. I believe it is a bacteria. The eye is often white and in bad cases becomes infected and the eye is lost.

Morena, I am sure you can fill in the deatails better that my sparse detail, if correct.

Best regards.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

Here(if it works)is a video of a one eyed Doe with her kid,they will cope no problem,but,if it is infected then it most likely needs taking out to be honest.