Thread: Rust protecting the action?

Rust protecting the action?

Hello!

Im hoping to get some advice regarding the "outside" of the action - the parts that meets the wood.
    Is it normal to grease or oil it? Or does that damage the wood?

Im also a little curious about the bolt interior, am I suppose to use thicker grease or tinner oil on the
    firing pin spring? At the moment its full of black goo... And Id like to clean it up and apply new grease/oil.

Regards
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Hello!

Im hoping to get some advice regarding the "outside" of the action - the parts that meets the wood.
    Is it normal to grease or oil it? Or does that damage the wood?

Im also a little curious about the bolt interior, am I suppose to use thicker grease or tinner oil on the
    firing pin spring? At the moment its full of black goo... And Id like to clean it up and apply new grease/oil.

Regards
    Andy.
    hi bud i recomend striping the bolt down put the firing pin in a drill and polish with fine emery cloth then use solvol metal polishing paste to get the firing pin like crome polish spring and inside of bolt housing then apply a very light grease /folowed by a light spray of wd 40 this thins the grease to a fine film reasemble bolt your bolt on firing will be more consistent and will now recwire very little atenton in the future yes i do wipe grease under the action thin film stops rust you canot see oil has a tendance to leach in to the wood for barrel protecton get some heat shrink spray barrel with wd 40 put heat shrink over barrel and heat the heat shrink tight over the barrel water will not penetrate the heat shrink it may look strainge but saves bluing and is very robust this is more of a tacktical thing same as self imalgimating rubber tape cover barrel silencer stops all watter penitraton and protects from bumps and scraches on your gun when you remove it years later your gun still looks new i use the tape on my scopes to may not look nice but totaly practical if you use your guns in all weather and treet your gun like a tool for years when you remove the tape every thing looks new so resale is high self imalgimating tape can be purchased from the internet for about a fiver thats how i preserve my guns scopes

Thanks a lot! Going to apply a light layer of grease once I find something without too much chemicals that might damage the wood.
    That heath shrink tips, I have to research a little! hehe.

Regards
    Andy.

AndyB

Given location, I suspect low temps may be an issue for you as well?

Select lubricants with care as many gum up in low temps and most 'wet' lubes risk attracting dirt/ crud.

In terms of inside the bolt, my previous approach was to strip and thoroughly clean/ degrease - taking care no grit etc was driven into the firing pin hole. I use an old pistol rod and mop to clean out inner surface of bolt. I lightly polished any obvious marks on the pin. Then applied dry lube, let it 'set' - including fully coating spring coils. Lightly greased cam way surface with Shooters Choice or similar and reassembled.

For exterior metal work I've used Sentry Tuf cloth for years. Wiped exterior of bolt with this too - plus light greasing of locking lugs. Also well coated hidden metal areas - let dry then put stock back on.

A short while back we started dealing with the Sentry distributor in the UK and stocking more of their range. With great respect to any manufacturer - particularly American ones - I tend to take marketing claims with a pinch of salt until tried and tested by me or someone I trust.

I have been testing Smooth Kote - which is a moly type suspension that dries on. Used on the internals of three bolt rifles and a couple of 22 semi-auto's for about 6 weeks now and initial impressions are good. Works as claimed and thus far lasting well. It leaves a black finish - but boy, not much will stick to it! For areas I dont want black, Tuf Glide seems to work ok - still testing.

Externally tried the Marine Tuf cloth, but not keen on the visible film left - and for me the standard version has been working just fine for years.

Hard to avoid sounding like a commercial but written in answer to the question rather than trying to flog stiff - hopefully taken in that spirit.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

i use beeswax soft polish on guns used in boats and salt air, to make it disolve beeswax in pure turps rub it on let it dry ,perhaps this is too basic,and you want somthing more high tec

best option is keep it clean dry!

I looked at a rifle in a dealers a few weeks ago and the bolt was FULL of bright red grease. oozing out of everywhere.

I strip the bolt and action from stock fairly regularly. the oil preparation for walnut (phillips) is good for the wood and provides a waterproof covering for any metal that excess oil gets onto (it also picks up dirt and grit!)
    too much "gun" oil will make a mess and weaken the wood.

I dont use lubricants on things like bolt lugs and slide rails, I prefer a polished surface as it is less likely to pick up dust ans grit which will as an abrasive.
    takes no time at all to wipe/brush these off with little more than a rag with a light oil impregnation

Thank you guys, for sharing your experience and methods, I think Im going to try out beeswax on my shotgun and to maintain a old Krag rifle we dont use much. regarding that, I prefer the most basic stuff and as far as I know, Beeswax have been used on wood (and metal) for a long, long time. I cant believe people kept using it if didnt work! hehe.

Yes Moray, low temperatures might be an issue at "top-bird hunting" in the winter time, even though I avoid trips when its far too cold (already got several frostbites, dont want more!) - the dry grease you recommend seems good for low temps, but do you use it in wet/humid conditions as well and find it sufficient?

You have a good point regarding marketing, I am too, very dubious of products that sounds too good to be true, and so far I have been using i.e. Break-free as the Norwegian army uses this, they have been using it for a couple years now I think, and theres still no rumors about changing, so I suppose its a good general oil for medium-high temperatures, not so sure about low temps though.