Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading question

Reloading question

Been working up a load for my .243. So wrnt to try it and once case was ejected the case was covered in black remanants half way up the case. Could anyone tell me why this could be? There was no signs of over pressure, just this black remanaints on the case

Quote Originally Posted by pablo.222 View Post
    Been working up a load for my .243. So wrnt to try it and once case was ejected the case was covered in black remanants half way up the case. Could anyone tell me why this could be? There was no signs of over pressure, just this black remanaints on the case

Post a picture.
    It's likely that the round is a little low in pressure and not sealing well, picture will confirm or not!

Sorry no pictures. But i cant see how it would be low pressure bacause im quite hot with these loads (1/2 grn of max) so if anything inthought it was over pressure but no other signs of that on case. I tryed a load a grn less the previous time and there was no remanats on case with it. But with these that are a grn higher there is.

How many times have you reloaded the cases? If a few the necks may be getting hard
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

work hardened or poor quality brass
    been asked and answered. I had the same problem with some "once fired" lapua brass

cost you about 10-15 per 100 to anneal them from a nice chap on here (PM "Taylor")

sorted my problem in an instant....then I sold the .243!

Newhornady brass once fired. Is this the case of the neck not creating a seal or why wud the brass be at fault?

Sorry no pictures. But i cant see how it would be low pressure bacause im quite hot with these loads (1/2 grn of max) so if anything inthought it was over pressure but no other signs of that on case. I tryed a load a grn less the previous time and there was no remanats on case with it. But with these that are a grn higher there is.
    Newhornady brass once fired. Is this the case of the neck not creating a seal or why wud the brass be at fault?
    Ah well, best you carry on then its a max load that doesn't seal the neck, good luck!
    Without a picture we would be pissing in the wind advising you.

Well according to loading manual it is. Could it be a case of all the powder is not burning? The cases are not completly black just black residue left on them. You can wipe it off with your finger.

Can you clarify whether one case was sooty or were all the cases sooty? How many cases did you load at each powder weight? Were they all sooty? Do you full length resize or neck size? Regards JCS

I had 2 loads, 1 42gran N160 and the other load 43grnsN160. The 42 grain was okay, just a little blackening around the neck wich didnt bother me. Gave me .5 " group. The 43 grain tried 2 rounds and thy both come out sooty, the soot come down possible 2 thirds of the case. These cases are neck sized as this is first load from them. Does this help?