Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay IR filters

eBay IR filters

just picked up a couple of these from a nice chap in Kelso of all places!
    Plan on retrifitting one to a small LED Cree type torch as a additional light source for the NV monocular

has anyone tried these with any success?
    at 3 it was worth a punt regardless

Got a link ?

Neil.

SD Regular
    Link please Bewsh - just remember that a Cree LED will not put out a lot of light in the IR wavelengths - far better with a conventional lightsource.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    just picked up a couple of these from a nice chap in Kelso of all places!
    Plan on retrifitting one to a small LED Cree type torch as a additional light source for the NV monocular

has anyone tried these with any success?
    at 3 it was worth a punt regardless
    Why not just get an IR LED and stick in it?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/China-Made...item5d2e3208c8

MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 29-09-2012 at 11:18.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1809703423...84.m1439.l2649

I got these as they can go on any light, not sure if the IR Cree boards will fit mine as they are not branded but 4 for the price of 1 Costco specials!

good tip about the wavelengths.
    I did not know that.

what about normal LED lights? are they all short on IR ?

Led lights don't throw out ir so won't work. Well that's what I been told by people who know more than me.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

interesting.

got me digging. not my usual source of technical info but this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

would indicate that a "white" LED would be expected to emit the usual range of colour/wavelengths that you would find in white light. including IR.
    may not be as high as a filament but should give something.

But when I tested it in the garden just now the LED torch gave next to no light through the filter
    my filament Deben Stinger gave a good beam of IR out to the wall at 35yds, no results out past that as I am somewhat restricted in the garden!

just goes to show Wikipedia really is full of **** as I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Led lights don't throw out ir so won't work. Well that's what I been told by people who know more than me.
    I think you'll find that the IR ones do!
    They don't throw out any visible light, so It's either IR or they are broken!
    Here's a nice little IR variant:
    http://www.taclight.co.uk/dereelight...er-800-ir.html

MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 29-09-2012 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    interesting.

got me digging. not my usual source of technical info but this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

would indicate that a "white" LED would be expected to emit the usual range of colour/wavelengths that you would find in white light. including IR.
    may not be as high as a filament but should give something.

But when I tested it in the garden just now the LED torch gave next to no light through the filter
    my filament Deben Stinger gave a good beam of IR out to the wall at 35yds, no results out past that as I am somewhat restricted in the garden!

just goes to show Wikipedia really is full of **** as I thought!
    Without wishing to go into a full-on physics lesson, white light does not contain IR! A standard torch bulb creates heat from the filament which is where the IR comes from (and is a waste of battery power!). An LED is a very efficient means of light production because it produces negligible heat and therefore no IR from a white light LED.
    However, LED's can be manufactured which produce only IR which are also very efficient, but invisible to the naked eye.
    The type of filters you can buy for standard torches are purely white light blockers which allow the heat from the filament to pass through basically. They are therefore not very efficient either!
    Hope that explains the basics?
    MS

I have a friend doing a lot of work on this, for oil industry NDT work. He has converted my remote control roof mounted lamp by putting a camera that can see IR into the middle of it, and mounting 10 ir leds round it, each with its own wee reflector. I will put up pictures later. It connects to a monitor that is part of my radio / dvd player. When turned on the leds show a small red dot each, just visible, yet will illuminate out to a couple of hundred yards, and rabbits are easy to pick out at this range. Roe and foxes show up like in day time at 150 yards. He tells me that it is very bright, blinding but above the range of our vision, and we are just picking up the very bottom of the wave lengths as dull red lights, and will only shine visibly on your hands from 4 inches.

Going a huge step further he took along a thermal imager today, we went out last night and it was awesome, again plugged into the radios monitor. We stayed out till 10 last night, scanning rabbits and roe, even into the forrest in full darkness. We could see deer moving between the trees in total darkness.It was so good we were back out at 5 this morning, hoping to get into position to catch red deer returning to the forrest. We did not see red deer, it was blowing a gale, but could pick up grouse peaking at us from above the heather, at about 100mtr. We could see a flock of sheep on another hill at 2000mtr, as a series of white dots. Roe at 100 - 200 mtr were easy to see, peaking out of the forrest.

Ok, this is not a shooting tool, but is a spotting one. I have a roof mounted white light lamp, and have a thick IR filter for it. It filters / reduces the light significantly, but still throws a decent light, and the camera really works well with it, it works light a flood light.

We are going to have some fun with this for sure!