Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck size help

Neck size help

Hi all

I'm about to have my first go at reloading but have somehow managed to lose the instructions for setting up my Hornady neck size die with regard to it touching the RCBS press ram. Can anyone help please?

screw it down until it contacts the shell holder (in the up position obviously) then back it off a smidgeon.

Am I right in thinking that the ram should go fully to the top of its stroke with a case in the shell holder? mines not??

yes it should so you apply even pressure to each stroke
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

That makes sense spud. I think this one may be dodgy

Thanks Guys

JCS what do you do,? full length

Quote Originally Posted by D13REW View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the ram should go fully to the top of its stroke with a case in the shell holder? mines not??
    I dont use Hornaday die but I know their quality is good. If you have set the die up as Milligan has said, I would be surprised if you are unable to get the ram to go fully to the top - daft question, but I assume the calibre printed on your case's head stamp matches what is written on the die and not what is on the box?

Have you tried removing the decapping pin and seeing if that lets you complete the cycle?
    Last edited by PeterH; 29-09-2012 at 23:05.

Egad. Hornady dies are twenty five steps below Lee, Lyman, RCBS and Forester if you ask me. I have several new sets and they are terrible.

That aside. Are we lubing the cases? is it boxer primed brass? Does any part of the neck get sized? A pic would be great.~Muir

Its the right calible but doesnt state a case length. I have tried removing the decapping pin but still wont go to the top of the ram, The cases are lubed and the onlt bit that get sized is the inside where the expander goes. I havent tried it with a case that has the old primer in yet. What pics would you like Muir?