Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gunpowder and house insurance

gunpowder and house insurance

Does anyone know how you stand with house insurance and storing gun powder?

Blackpowder is classed as an explosive and you need a licence to store and handle it. It must be stored in an approved wooden box that means is will burn in the event of a house fire not explode.
    Modern reloading powder is classed as a propellant not an expolsive thats my understanding.

its a good question about the house insurance...... If you did have a fire in the house and you had gas you can argue that that is equally as dangerous?

never thought about the gas good argument

A Bolt,

As with all insurance it's down to you to provide all the information. Failure to do so will give reason to not pay out.

Now, it should be apparent that "standard" accomodation has electricity, gas, water and sewage and probably defined in the contract.

Stan

Explosives are categorised relevant to their likelihood to explode in bulk. Gunpowder or Blackpowder is Hazard type 1, which is the highest risk category.
    Many people who know what they are doing use it safely and to the best of my knowledge accidents are rare.
    However I once went on a course where half a pound of blackpowder contained in a tin within an ammunition box within a small sectional concrete building of the type one sees on railways, was exploded. The instructors had deliberately and very effectively created a bomb.
    Having never been in the military, I was very surprised at the devastating explosion and destruction caused to the the building by such a small amount of blackpowder.
    I have never forgotten the sight and resolved never ever to keep blackpowder in the house, regardless of storage precautions.
    In view of the Hazard type and the potential power of this old explosive, I would imagine that an insurer would take a keen interest in the presence of the risk. The Muzzle Loaders Association may be a good starting point for more experienced advice. I have always found them helpful and very knowledgeable.

I use blackpowder in my muzzule loaders its great fun but you do need to be carefull no smoking etc.!
    Uncle norm what you have dercribed is why you must store in a wooden box this will not then expolde in the event of a fire it will just burn whith a lot of smoke. Containing blackpwder in a metal box as you described making it into a bomb.

"why you must store in a wooden box this will not then expolde in the event of a fire it will just burn whith a lot of smoke."

Not quite true multiman, even a wooden container if strongly constructed will suddenly fail releasing energy. In fact some communist countries at one time produced landmines contained in wooden boxes. An "explosion" is after all only a sudden and violent release of energy. Nitro propellants are not totally without risk either and many an improvised explosive device such as a pipe bomb has been made using propellants such as powder out of shotgun cartridges. Like Uncle Norm my propellants are not stored inside my house. Personally I have always been more concerned about LPG cylinders stored in the home than of shooters powders. I lost one colleague to a LPG cylinder and have personal knowledge of a number of other fatal domestic fires involving such cylinders and even had close shaves myself on two seperate occasions over a period of 32 years in the fire service. Yet I regullarly still come across LPG cylinders stored in domestic and public buildings.
    Last edited by 8x57; 30-09-2012 at 10:10.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

how many of you alert your insurers to the powder component of your reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    how many of you alert your insurers to the powder component of your reloading?
    Playing devil's advocate here the question is - are you required to do so? Also how many of you alert your insurers that you have LPG cylinders in your home?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

if you want them to pay out I would advise you to advise them of a change of underwear!
    they dont seem to need much encouragement to find a loop hole that negates a payout!