Blaser B95

Conor1

Having attended a Swiss hunt, I was surprised to see that all the hunters were using Drillings or Bockbüchsflinte (over under shotgun rifle) without exception. After the hunt I was given the list of dates for the remaining hunts of the year and as I enjoyed it so much, I decided to invest in a Bockbüchsflinte. I called my dealer and told him that I was looking for the above and he mentioned that he a few in stock from Kreighoff, Blaser and Merkl.

THe Blaser had a free floating barrels and was also in a 12 bore/30 cal set up (Blaser 30R) and was highly recommended. We reached a deal and I left with the gun! I fired it today and I will need a few more sessions with it before I can offer a proper review. In short, it is very nice to look at but I will need to fit a proper recoil pad as it slipped a few times against my shoulder. I managed 2 inch groups which I believe will be bettered in time (assume barrel had been broken in at the factory so couldn`t be bothered to clean after each shot). The rifle barrel is very slim so I am not expecting super tight groups and I was advised to shoot very small groups in the beginning. typically 2 shot groups.

Regarding my first hunt, I managed to shoot a nice young vixen with my .308. I aimed for the rear half and almost cut her in two; I now understand why European hunters favour the rifle shotgun combination. However in this case she was 100m away and the shotgun would have been redundant in this instance, but for short range work it is ideal. THe calibre is quite interesting and is similar in performance to a 30-06 though the Blaser 30R cartridge is bigger. The gun is exceptionally light so muzzle flip was quite noticeable.The new recoild pad should resolve this. I would have preferred .308 or ..300Win Mag but I have been assured that the Blaser 30R is very popular in Europe so getting hold of ammunition shouldn`t be an issue.

Last edited:
Looks fun, welcome to the BBF club - lots of info over at accurate reloading. BBF's are very accurate but two things to keep in mind 1) they respond like double rifles, not bolt action - they need to be firmly held by the forfend when shooting. 2) those thin barrels heat up very quickly - if shooting groups let hem cool right down between shots - four or five min is not too long. In the field second quick shot is close enough, but on mine 3rd is three or four inches high. I think the blaser has a free floating rifle barrel so not so much of an issue. Have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice Heym. I will definitely have to change my grip.................it sure is a novelty.

Mine is a Ferlach built in 16/7x65r. I can shoot a ragged hole with three shots at 60 yds if I do my bit. I did put a good recoil pad to stop it slipping on my shoulder - made a big difference. I do find most factory ammo loaded with 173gn bullets quite punchy - I now load a 139 g bullet that is more than adequate for Roe and Red that is much nicer to shoot - and it shoots to the same point as the RWS factory ammo.

I've got a poverty pack BBF 97 in two barrel sets 7x57R/12/76 and 9.3x74R 9.3x74R. I've the latter regulated to 200m. No problem. Very accurate rifle. Shot more game with it this year than all of my other rifles put together.

Great system. Use the double rifle set and the rifle shotgun set for driven game hunts as well as stalking.

Having attended a Swiss hunt, I was surprised to see that all the hunters were using Drillings or Bockbüchsflinte (over under shotgun rifle) without exception. After the hunt I was given the list of dates for the remaining hunts of the year and as I enjoyed it so much, I decided to invest in a Bockbüchsflinte. I called my dealer and told him that I was looking for the above and he mentioned that he a few in stock from Kreighoff, Blaser and Merkl.

THe Blaser had a free floating barrels and was also in a 12 bore/30 cal set up (Blaser 30R) and was highly recommended. We reached a deal and I left with the gun! I fired it today and I will need a few more sessions with it before I can offer a proper review. In short, it is very nice to look at but I will need to fit a proper recoil pad as it slipped a few times against my shoulder. I managed 2 inch groups which I believe will be bettered in time (assume barrel had been broken in at the factory so couldn`t be bothered to clean after each shot). The rifle barrel is very slim so I am not expecting super tight groups and I was advised to shoot very small groups in the beginning. typically 2 shot groups.

Regarding my first hunt, I managed to shoot a nice young vixen with my .308. I aimed for the rear half and almost cut her in two; I now understand why European hunters favour the rifle shotgun combination. However in this case she was 100m away and the shotgun would have been redundant in this instance, but for short range work it is ideal. THe calibre is quite interesting and is similar in performance to a 30-06 though the Blaser 30R cartridge is bigger. The gun is exceptionally light so muzzle flip was quite noticeable.The new recoild pad should resolve this. I would have preferred .308 or ..300Win Mag but I have been assured that the Blaser 30R is very popular in Europe so getting hold of ammunition shouldn`t be an issue.

Smart looking rifle, I must confess my ignorance and ask what you might shoot with this on a typical Swiss hunting trip? atb Tim

Hi Tim

At the moment, I have only used it on the range as I have been too busy to have it put on my European Firearms Permit. Even though I am only hunting in Switzerland the revier is on the German border which involves two border crossings.

I am huntint twice a week and the species that are open to us are Sika, Roe, Wild Boar, Fox and Badger. Only one male can be shot of the Sika, Roe and Boar per gun. Typically 90% of guns manage to shoot a beast. It took me a while to get used to the gun and it is perfect for high seat work, shotgun for close in foxes and the rifle for larger game. But as the rifle barrel is pencil thin, I would not like to take two shots in quick succession.

I would have preferred .308 or ..300Win Mag but I have been assured that the Blaser 30R is very popular in Europe so getting hold of ammunition shouldn`t be an issue.

The .308 wouldn't be so good in that type of gun as they are rimless. The extractor can slip out of the groove and fail to extract the cartridge. Usually at the worst moment. I have a Valmet 412 in 12ga/243 and it sometimes happens. That's why the .30R was recommended to you, it's designed for the purpose. There is a rimmed .308 Win cartridge, it's called the .307 Winchester and obtaining brass, never mind ammunition is troublesome.

Nice rifle you have, and nice hunting opportunities. Enjoy them both.

--JMS

Hi Tim

At the moment, I have only used it on the range as I have been too busy to have it put on my European Firearms Permit. Even though I am only hunting in Switzerland the revier is on the German border which involves two border crossings.

I am huntint twice a week and the species that are open to us are Sika, Roe, Wild Boar, Fox and Badger. Only one male can be shot of the Sika, Roe and Boar per gun. Typically 90% of guns manage to shoot a beast. It took me a while to get used to the gun and it is perfect for high seat work, shotgun for close in foxes and the rifle for larger game. But as the rifle barrel is pencil thin, I would not like to take two shots in quick succession.

That sounds fun, do you ever use solid shotgun slugs for the deer & boar? atb Tim

Hi Tim

I could do but I have 2 300 Win Magss and a 9.3x62 to choose from. I usually grab one of the 300 WM as they are reasonably easy to shoot. Also, as there is the opportunity to shoot Roe and Sika as well, 300 is plenty big enough.

Back