Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Variation for deer rifle advice please

Variation for deer rifle advice please

Hi chaps im in the process of filling out the variation form for a .270 and mod, I have permissions and also have been out a dozen times with full time stalkers, shot and gralloched both deer and boar.

The form is asking for reasons why I want the rifle. I have had an open ticket for CF for many years.

I have photos and letters from the stalkers and landowners but am concerned as to the actual wording of my application letter (my feo has in the past not been helpful when I broached the subject of a deer condition and will probably be obstructive).

I am due to take dsc1 end Oct but want to put the paperwork in asap.

Any help on the wording would be greatly appreciated as I want to get on lol.

Regards WB

SD Regular
    You want the 270 rifle for pest management of deer and fox. Keep it simple. You should declare you're doing a DSCL1 as a way of showing you're committed, but it shouldn't be more than that.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Don't get too caught up in the why's and what'fors... as ETR said, keep it simple.

If you have permission to shoot over land with deer on it you have "good reason" and that is ALL you need.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Cite your "Good Reason" for acquiring the .270, for the lawful shooting of deer, secondary as destruction of both fox and other vermin. Good reason for sound mod. is primarily for Health & Safety.....that should be enough for the variation. If FEO is obstructive/difficult, make sure you do your homework and present a valid and balanced "argument" in your favour, all the more so if FEO intends to visit for a personal interview.

Firearms department at Basc love to hear about unnecessarily obstructive firearms clerks! You have said that you have an open certificate. Do you already have deer calibers? You may need to justify an additional rifle. This shouldn't be difficult but something to think about.

whilst i understand the reasoning for "good reason" for a rifle i have never had to give good reason to have a moderator. so provide water tight reason to have rifle and just ask for moderator as part of the package.

have faith in your permissions. if the land has been cleared for a centre fire then having permission to remove deer IS enough reason.
    Big bloke... but outta shape

Hi thanks for the replies, I do not have deer calibers other than .223 for which I requested a year ago a condition for Muntjac and CWD, my FEO refused point blank saying that I would have to satisfy him that I had knowledge and experience of deer. Catch 22, so I consulted BASC who advised me to consider doing DSC1 to gain qualification that he could not argue against.

Initially I was against this but once I started studying the coursework could see the logic, just do not like being told what to do....

Couple of useful points already in replies thanks.

Also may be worth mentioning Boar also as you have already shot Boar. and the .270 is the min cal for Boar

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    Also may be worth mentioning Boar also as you have already shot Boar. and the .270 is the min cal for Boar
    I've got boar on my ticket for my 6.5x55 who/where does it say .270 is the min cal for boar?

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    Hi thanks for the replies, I do not have deer calibers other than .223 for which I requested a year ago a condition for Muntjac and CWD, my FEO refused point blank saying that I would have to satisfy him that I had knowledge and experience of deer. Catch 22, so I consulted BASC who advised me to consider doing DSC1 to gain qualification that he could not argue against.

Initially I was against this but once I started studying the coursework could see the logic, just do not like being told what to do....

Couple of useful points already in replies thanks.
    Willowbank you really should have objected to the FEO's position on not conditioning your certificate for deer not withstanding BASC's advise. I agree training is very important however as you said they were putting you in a catch 22 and that is not reasonable !
    the obvious reason for a 270 is the ability to cull other deer than muntjac and CWD. It should be as simple as that for good reason.